Favorite humbuckers that split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    The only humbuckers I really don't like split are the Little Humbuckers.
    I got a split on my Hot Rails in the Tele. I love it, it allows me to quickly drop the heat when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      PRS does a unique thing with their coil splits. I don’t remember specifically what it’s doing, but it is not simply grounding out one coil. Whatever it is (partial split?) is why theirs sounds really good, doesn’t buzz like crazy; and doesn’t lose much volume.
      The Fender Double Tap is cool too. Five leads, one coil is 4K and the other has two taps, one at 4K for humbucking and one at ~5K for split mode. Pretty clever.

Is PRS using fixed version of the Spin a split?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Here's an example from the PRS website:
        Maryland-based Manufacturer of Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Basses and Accessories.

Comment

2 single coils made into a humbucker. :P
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            ... The Distortion splits really well too. One of my favorite split tones.
            The Distortion is my favorite.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              2 single coils made into a humbucker. :P
              I need to have the Custom Shop wind me two more X-1's, one being RWRP, so I can try this out. Although it'll really be about how the resulting humbucker sounds as my X-1 is already my favorite single coil.
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

It's awesome.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

I need to have the Custom Shop wind me two more X-1's, one being RWRP, so I can try this out. Although it'll really be about how the resulting humbucker sounds as my X-1 is already my favorite single coil.
                  Interesting idea! My guess is that it would be kinda like a Stag Mag. On my Strat, I have 1 X-1, but it is wired so it can be in series with either the neck or the middle singel coil. The resulting sound is super fat- I am guessing 2 X-1s would be even fatter.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think it's impossible to define a single pickup as a favorite. Or it is impossible to state what is the best among all the others. Each of us will indicate what he likes the most, taking into account different variables, such as the guitar, the effect chain, the strings, the amplifier. It's subjective and temporary. At the moment my favorite is the black winter neck. Tomorrow who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

The Fender Double Tap is cool too. Five leads, one coil is 4K and the other has two taps, one at 4K for humbucking and one at ~5K for split mode. Pretty clever.

The Fender thing sounds cool.

Just looked it up, and PRS splits to a resistor, so some of the grounded coil stays active. So, yes, it’s a fixed spin a split.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                        What are some favorite humbuckers that split for a single coil tone? I've read that the JB is one, and I have experience with the PRS 85\15 that is pretty convincing as well. What are some other favorites?
                        Anything with a fairly hot coil works well with standard split, which is why you've heard about JB. I really like the 59/Custom hybrid b/c it splits to the Custom coil. The 85/15s sound good because of the way PRS wires their coil splits. It's what's called a "partial split" where part of the 2nd coil bleeds through to give a little more output. You could do this with any low output pickup with similar results.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                          PRS does a unique thing with their coil splits. I don’t remember specifically what it’s doing, but it is not simply grounding out one coil. Whatever it is (partial split?) is why theirs sounds really good, doesn’t buzz like crazy; and doesn’t lose much volume.
                          PRS uses a ~2K resistor to do a partial split.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

PRS often uses 1.1K for the neck pickup, and 2.2K for the bridge.
                            These values are great for most vintage-output humbuckers.
                            EdIt: Stronger winds usually don't need a resistor in the shunt.
                            Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 01-13-2021, 01:09 AM.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I figure it comes down to a healthy output if it’s going to be split.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                                PRS often uses 1.1K for the neck pickup, and 2.2K for the bridge.
                                These values are great for most vintage-output humbuckers.
                                EdIt: Stronger winds usually don't need a resistor in the shunt.
                                I did a search over several guitar forums. The 1.1 and 2.2k were among the lowest values. Most folks prefered round 4k, Lindy Fralin recommends 7k.
                                My band mate shot a Starfield Special (Ibanez Custom Shop USA, Suhr neck pup with 7.5k), which had 1k. This was much too brite, thin and of low volume. We settled with 5k at last.
                                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                                X