X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eclecticsynergy
    replied
    Originally posted by hamerfan View Post

I did a search over several guitar forums. The 1.1 and 2.2k were among the lowest values. Most folks prefered round 4k, Lindy Fralin recommends 7k.
    My band mate shot a Starfield Special (Ibanez Custom Shop USA, Suhr neck pup with 7.5k), which had 1k. This was much too brite, thin and of low volume. We settled with 5k at last.
    Brighter and thinner is, after all, the whole point of split wiring.
    Naturally a lot depends on personal taste and on the particular pickup in question.
    The 1.1/2.2 splits on my PRSs are light but sweet - I don't find them harsh or brittle, though certainly some might prefer stronger split tones.

Larger resistors offer not just beefier tone and less volume drop, but also better noise rejection.
    It all hinges on how singelcoily you want your split settings.

That's why I generally recommend 10K trimpots instead of fixed resistors.
    Then you can dial it in by ear exactly the way you like, then close the guitar up.
    And if you tastes (or your rig) ever change, you can readjust it in moments any time you want.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    ill have to open up my hamer monaco to see what i use, but it made a huge difference. i think it was 1.5k on pgn.

in general hot bridge buckers split well, low output bright buckers dont without some way to accommodate that like a partial split

Leave a comment:

• weepingminotaur
    replied
    Black Winters, bridge or neck. Both split really well.

Leave a comment:

• hamerfan
    replied
    Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    PRS often uses 1.1K for the neck pickup, and 2.2K for the bridge.
    These values are great for most vintage-output humbuckers.
    EdIt: Stronger winds usually don't need a resistor in the shunt.
    I did a search over several guitar forums. The 1.1 and 2.2k were among the lowest values. Most folks prefered round 4k, Lindy Fralin recommends 7k.
    My band mate shot a Starfield Special (Ibanez Custom Shop USA, Suhr neck pup with 7.5k), which had 1k. This was much too brite, thin and of low volume. We settled with 5k at last.

Leave a comment:

• Bowtomecha
    replied
    I figure it comes down to a healthy output if it’s going to be split.

Leave a comment:

• eclecticsynergy
    replied
    PRS often uses 1.1K for the neck pickup, and 2.2K for the bridge.
    These values are great for most vintage-output humbuckers.
    EdIt: Stronger winds usually don't need a resistor in the shunt.
    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 01-13-2021, 01:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_TriPpEr
    replied
    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    PRS does a unique thing with their coil splits. I don’t remember specifically what it’s doing, but it is not simply grounding out one coil. Whatever it is (partial split?) is why theirs sounds really good, doesn’t buzz like crazy; and doesn’t lose much volume.
    PRS uses a ~2K resistor to do a partial split.

Leave a comment:

• BluesIsBlood12
    replied
    Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
    What are some favorite humbuckers that split for a single coil tone? I've read that the JB is one, and I have experience with the PRS 85\15 that is pretty convincing as well. What are some other favorites?
    Anything with a fairly hot coil works well with standard split, which is why you've heard about JB. I really like the 59/Custom hybrid b/c it splits to the Custom coil. The 85/15s sound good because of the way PRS wires their coil splits. It's what's called a "partial split" where part of the 2nd coil bleeds through to give a little more output. You could do this with any low output pickup with similar results.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

The Fender Double Tap is cool too. Five leads, one coil is 4K and the other has two taps, one at 4K for humbucking and one at ~5K for split mode. Pretty clever.

Is PRS using fixed version of the Spin a split?
    The Fender thing sounds cool.

Just looked it up, and PRS splits to a resistor, so some of the grounded coil stays active. So, yes, it’s a fixed spin a split.

Leave a comment:

• EmiAba
    replied
    I think it's impossible to define a single pickup as a favorite. Or it is impossible to state what is the best among all the others. Each of us will indicate what he likes the most, taking into account different variables, such as the guitar, the effect chain, the strings, the amplifier. It's subjective and temporary. At the moment my favorite is the black winter neck. Tomorrow who knows?

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

I need to have the Custom Shop wind me two more X-1's, one being RWRP, so I can try this out. Although it'll really be about how the resulting humbucker sounds as my X-1 is already my favorite single coil.
    Interesting idea! My guess is that it would be kinda like a Stag Mag. On my Strat, I have 1 X-1, but it is wired so it can be in series with either the neck or the middle singel coil. The resulting sound is super fat- I am guessing 2 X-1s would be even fatter.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied
    It's awesome.

Leave a comment:

• JamesPaul
    replied
    Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    2 single coils made into a humbucker. :P
    I need to have the Custom Shop wind me two more X-1's, one being RWRP, so I can try this out. Although it'll really be about how the resulting humbucker sounds as my X-1 is already my favorite single coil.

Leave a comment:

• JamesPaul
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    ... The Distortion splits really well too. One of my favorite split tones.
    The Distortion is my favorite.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied
    2 single coils made into a humbucker. :P

Leave a comment:

Working...
X