Perpetual Burn vs Parallel Axis vs 78

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perpetual Burn vs Parallel Axis vs 78

I have a partscaster franky type of guitar I keep trying pickups in. Currently have the 78 and I like it a lot but would like a little more output and slightly tighter bottom with similar high end clarity. The Perpetual Burn and Parallel Axis are next to try possibly. Can anyone compare? I have tried JB which I normally like but its too muddy in this guitar, Screamin Demon was almost awesome but too scooped for me, love the Pearly Gates tone but not enough output, Custom was just ok and so far the 78 is my favorite but I still want to try a few different ones

I would have suggested the Custom, but if it was 'just ok', maybe Black Winter or Distortion neck in the bridge position? I have both a Perpetual Burn and a Parallel Axis, but I haven't installed them, so I can't comment. Maybe they are better. Don't know.

Comment

If you liked the Pearly Gates but it didn't have enough output, what about a PGA8?

Comment

have the hybrid for about 2 weeks and i can‘t say too much but i think you should check it out. a lil hotter than the demon and more mids. tight enough for me and a bright pickup too.

Comment

What singles are you running it with and are you going to split it? I like the CustomCustom in a strat bridge because it is great full-on and split. The Perpetual Burn would be a good bet too. I also like the Dimarzio Air Zone and Fred in a strat. The parallel axis had a good balanced EQ and output. There was just something about the tone/feel that felt artificial to me. Can't really explain why.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquash View Post
            I have a partscaster franky type of guitar I keep trying pickups in. Currently have the 78 and I like it a lot but would like a little more output and slightly tighter bottom with similar high end clarity. The Perpetual Burn and Parallel Axis are next to try possibly.
            I have the PB and PA both installed in guitars right now. But I've never heard a 78. But if I go out on a limb, for "tighter bottom", I'd probably lean towards the Perpetual Burn. Both have high end clarity, but I think the PB might have a cleaner bottom.

This is one of those situations where you may just have to try one to see what suits you better.

Comment

If you liked the demon, why not try the custom shop of eldiablo (hotter demon)

Do a search on here

Comment

I have a partscaster franky type of guitar I keep trying pickups in. Currently have the 78 and I like it a lot but would like a little more output and slightly tighter bottom with similar high end clarity. The Perpetual Burn and Parallel Axis are next to try possibly. Can anyone compare? I have tried JB which I normally like but its too muddy in this guitar, Screamin Demon was almost awesome but too scooped for me, love the Pearly Gates tone but not enough output, Custom was just ok and so far the 78 is my favorite but I still want to try a few different ones
                Have you fiddled with the pickup height? I have a JB in a Floyd Rose Jackson DK adjusted down to around 3mm on the bottom E and it's very tight, very close to a Custom in the same guitar.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will look into these. I have thought about trying the hybrid and custom custom also, I have heard custom custom is fairly dark and mid heavy.

singles are Fender SCN and I do split, Pearly splits kinda weak but the 78 splits well.

I have thought about the Custom 5 too but I seen the mid scoop and I like some mids.

I could do some more mag swaps, I put an A5 in the pearly to try and it was ok, it kinda took the raunchy character away though but I have heard A8 is pretty aggressive.

I adjust height a lot, every pickup is a little different to get where I like it.

I will have to research Eldiablo, Im not familiar.
                  Last edited by Sasquash; 01-14-2021, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Put a double thick A5 in the 78 and you'll get more output and a tighter low end.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Letting us in on what amp and speakers you're using would help . If all you want is a little more output and slightly tighter bottom end I'd try a Tube Screamer type boost pedal . My favorites are the Cusack Screamer and Seymour Duncan 805 . A Friedman Buxom boost would most likely do exactly what you looking for but I found the pedal too noisey so YMMV with that one
                      When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984 View Post

Letting us in on what amp and speakers you're using would help . If all you want is a little more output and slightly tighter bottom end I'd try a Tube Screamer type boost pedal . My favorites are the Cusack Screamer and Seymour Duncan 805 . A Friedman Buxom boost would most likely do exactly what you looking for but I found the pedal too noisey so YMMV with that one
                        Funny....I have the Buxom Boost and don’t notice much added noise.
                        It is an amazing pedal though. I love it.

Comment

Never heard of a double thick mag,

I use a kemper with multiple sounds so its easy to adjust the tone on that. My tones are set how I like, just lookin for certain things in this guitar. The floyd makes it a little tricky.
                          Last edited by Sasquash; 01-15-2021, 05:38 AM.

Comment

The more I hear and read about the IM1, which I think is now the Frankenstein custom shop, that seems like what I might be after. It’s expensive though. I got the 78 on a great deal slightly used so it wasn’t bad. Hard to find the Im1/Frank in the used market.

Comment

you seem to be put off by the custom custom,
                              so be careful, the Frankenstein PU is not worlds appart from the custom custom sh-11 as far as i know
                              Last edited by ToneFiddler; 01-15-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X