HH, inner coils are not hum canceling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH, inner coils are not hum canceling

I have a Charvel DK24 HH guitar that came with a jazz in the neck and a full shred in the bridge. I found I am not a fan of the full shred and I had a pegasus on hand and put that in there. The middle position of the pickup selector selects the 2 inner coils. I expected that position to be hum canceling, but it is not. I honestly can't remember if it was with the full shred in there. If I swap a sentient in for the jazz would the polarity match up to have teh inner coils be hum canceling since they are sold as a set? Can I just flip the magnet in the pegasus? I guess I could wire the pegasus in reverse but then I'd get the outer coil of it for the split and the tone wouldn't be the same.

Damn you electromagnetism!

Also, I've never taken a pickup apart if the magnet flip would work. Thanks for any help or advice.

Or I could reverse the wiring for the neck pickup to get the split to give me the outer coil, which would probably be better anyway...

Comment

Yes, that's the easiest and sounds good.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

When you split to the same coils on each pickup, it will not be hum-cancelling. You'd have to split to different coils (e.g. screw of one, slug of the other, and, according to what I've read on here, flip the magnet of one of the pickups)

Comment

No, that's incorrect. Splitting to screw on one pickup and slug on the other is all you need to do, no mag flip.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            When you split to the same coils on each pickup, it will not be hum-cancelling. You'd have to split to different coils (e.g. screw of one, slug of the other, and, according to what I've read on here, flip the magnet of one of the pickups)
            You only need to flip the magnet if you want to split to two of the same type of coil.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by grimm26 View Post
              Or I could reverse the wiring for the neck pickup to get the split to give me the outer coil, which would probably be better anyway...
              Yes, and here is how to reverse the wiring.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Although, that wiring method that i oosted the diagram of above for getting the opposite coil in a coulsplit, shouldn't be referred as "reverse wiring". Reverse wiring is when you swap hot and cold. Not sure what the correct name is for above, so i personally refer to it as "inside out" method, cuz you are in effect making the screw coil the first in the pair of coils in the humbuckrr to receive the hot input (via the Red wire), where normally the Slug coil would be first (via the Black wire).

Comment

If you want both inner coils you would have to flip the magnet and wiring on a pickup. What I usually do is wire the bridge split the same as is commonly done for a split to the slug coil. Then I flip the magnet in the neck, put black and green together, and then instead of using the red wire as hot I use then white wire and put red with ground. Sometimes when OEM's have Duncan make pickups for them they actually will have magnets flipped and do what I have explained. Some times like with the Seymour Duncan/IBZ set (not the Duncan Designed one) they will actually put the pickup coil designs opposite spots, the neck pickup wire comes out by the controls, the coil that is usually a slug is given screws and the one that usually has screws is given slugs, and the magnet polarity is with north on the screw side with north pointed towards the neck. With that Seymour Duncan/IBZ one, if you put the usual red and white wires together, with black to hot and green to ground, it splits to the screw coil as though it were a bridge pickup built and wired in a kind of reverse. I hope that wasn't super TMI. Just trying to help and share some unique stuff that can happen with OEM Duncans.

Comment

I've never had to do anything special to get inner coils parallel.

Inner coils series requires extra switching or extra poles on the switch.

Now if you want both neck side coils or both bridge side coils, that will produce hum.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
                      Inner coils series requires extra switching or extra poles on the switch.
                      Yes, with a traditional LP 3-way toggle. No, with a Fender style 3-way.

Comment

Yeah just having the two inner coils on is not a big deal. Making them hum canceling so they coming through as reverse wind and reverse polarity does take special consideration.

Comment

Well, I reversed the wiring on the neck pickup (white hot, etc) and I have the inner coils together but they must be parallel cuz they are way quieter than either pickup split by itself. I may just get a schaller megaswitch for it to get the versatility. I have one of those in another HH guitar and it is great.

Also, swapping the Pegasus for the Full Shred makes me way happier. The Full Shred is apparently not my thing.

Comment

If you didn't also flip the magnet in one of the pups, then the reversal of wires you describe above would lead to the two inner coils being out of phase. Which matches the volume problem you described. You should also find the tone thin and sqawky, right?

And yes, the two splits would be connected in parallel. But that's normal.

You expressed interest in Reply #2 in splitting to the outer coil on the neck pickup so you could have hum-canceling. You could accomplish that with the diagram i posted in Reply #7.
                            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-16-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                              If you didn't also flip the magnet in one of the pups, then the reversal of wires you describe above would lead to the two inner coils being out of phase. Which matches the volume problem you described. You should also find the tone thin and sqawky, right?

And yes, the two splits would be connected in parallel. But that's normal.

You expressed interest in Post 2 in splitting to the outer coil in the neck pickup so you could have hum-canceling. You could accomplish that with the diagram i posted in #7.
                              Oh I see what I did. I was going off of a diagram I made for when I had it in an HSH ibanez where the middle single was reverse wound. I had W hot and R ground. Now what happened makes sense . I'll swap those tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X