The Joe Bonamassa Signature Bonnie Pickup Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Joe Bonamassa Signature Bonnie Pickup Set

Check out this limited edition set here.

Administrator of the SDUGF

seems like a nice set of strat pups. cool that they are a4, dont see much of that in single coils

Comment

Joe is a great player with good tone. I'm sure i'd love these if i had a strat' to put them in.
      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Did anyone notice that they're using a .1MFD cap, (same as .1 uf), for the tone control on the prewired pickguard? That seems extreme. I'm surprised that the tone control wouldn't act more like a volume control. 0.1 uf is enough to send ALL the signal through.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Duncan_Bonamassa_cap_value_sm.png Views:	0 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	6048639

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Did anyone notice that they're using a .1MFD cap, (same as .1 uf), for the tone control on the prewired pickguard? That seems extreme. I'm surprised that the tone control wouldn't act more like a volume control. 0.1 uf is enough to send ALL the signal through.

Click image for larger version Name:	Duncan_Bonamassa_cap_value_sm.png Views:	0 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	6048639
          I guess that is what Joe wanted.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I guess that is what Joe wanted.
            And I think he knows more about it than I do. It do sound good.

Comment

thats what all the old strats had

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                thats what all the old strats had
                Really? I did not know that. Now I need to try one just to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	Duncan_Bonamassa_cap_value_sm.png Views:	0 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	6048639
                  Appears to be the original spec for a 1950's-1970's Stratocaster, if these drawings can be trusted. (I've seein Leo's original drawings on the internet, still looking for them)
                  https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_ass...1002B_SISD.pdf
                  https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_ass...1000C_SISD.pdf
                  https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_ass...7002A_SISD.pdf

Somewhere in the 70s maybe is where the .05uF came in?
                  https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_ass...0072A_SISD.pdf

Since around the year 2000 drawings I'm seeing .022uF used (presumably due to noiseless/humbucking usage?)

Here's a teardown of a 1954 Strat: http://www.guitarhq.com/54strat.html

An original 1958 Strat control assembly

Last edited by beaubrummels; 01-16-2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Great info. Learn something new everyday around here. Now I really need to try this. It just seems extreme on paper.

Comment

as someone that uses their tone control a lot, i prefer a smaller cap for sure but since on these old strats the bridge doesnt have a tone control, you get full on treble from that position. i prefer to put the tone on the bridge pup and have a lower value like .02 to roll off some highs when using dirt

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        as someone that uses their tone control a lot, i prefer a smaller cap for sure but since on these old strats the bridge doesnt have a tone control, you get full on treble from that position. i prefer to put the tone on the bridge pup and have a lower value like .02 to roll off some highs when using dirt
                        I do similar. I like one tone pot for N/M and one for the bridge. And .022uf has pretty much become my standard. But, I do want to try this .1uf thang.

Comment

i usually leave the middle without a tone i also seldom use the tone on the neck pup but its nice to have

Comment

So, I'm not a vintage Strat guy. Just how many 54/55/56/57-esque vintage sets are there out there besides this?
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

from duncan? none like this. and i dont think fender ever used a4 rods. the old plastics are a nice touch too

Comment

Working...
                              X