The Joe Bonamassa Signature Bonnie Pickup Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    from duncan? none like this. and i dont think fender ever used a4 rods. the old plastics are a nice touch too
    I don't care if they are from ALiexpress.

In the vintage mid-50's Start pickup set space, who does this. Obviously Duncan now.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      from duncan? none like this. and i dont think fender ever used a4 rods. the old plastics are a nice touch too
      But it does make you wonder what these bring to the table. It's hard to tell from a YouTube video. Between SSL-1/2's, STK's, Antiquities, and one of my personal fav's, the Livewire Classic II active set, what do these do, that Seymour hasn't already covered?

I'm not criticizing. Just wondering.

Comment

wont know till we play them. other than they are another joe/seymour collaboration so im sure they sound great

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Great info. Learn something new everyday around here. Now I really need to try this. It just seems extreme on paper.
          When I tried it, it was just different, I didn't think of it as extreme, just different. The rolloff taper is the same, you can still play normal strat twang and brightness, just the corner frequency of the tone is lower, so while a .022 rolls off the twang and abrasive high end just to humbucker territory, the .1uF is more vocal, like a wah tone control. You could do Woman Tone on a Strat. Or like a clarinet type sound with fuzz; it was just different. not something everyone can use, or even I could use everyday. There were a few Hendrix tones that worked better with the 0.1uF (for example, times when he would scat vocally with his guitar lead). That's why I tried it - I saw it in a Hendrix strat schematic and wondered why. IMO The .022uF rolling off from twang to humbucker is more useful on a day to day / song to song basis however.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            When I tried it, it was just different . . .
            Cool. I'll try it.

Comment

I believe Eric Johnson prefers a .1uF cap as well.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

his old strat was his baby for years so, again, it comes from the fact thats the way fender did it back in the day

Comment

The Eric Johnson Strat does have a .1uf cap. Sounds really good to me. I took the American Standard Strat I had and put Fender SCN pickups in it. It sounded great, 500K volume and 250K tones, with the tones on neck and bridge only. Originally it had a .022uf cap but I got curious and tossed a big .1uf cap in there and that made it sound amazing. I liked how the 500K volume worked with the pickups better than 250K and didn't want to change that so figured a bigger tone cap would take care of the extra top end and it sure did but made it sweeter. If I ever get another SSS Strat, it'll be wired the same way.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 01-16-2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X