banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alnico Pro 2 bridge - sounds a bit ‘messy’ with a bit of gain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    FWIW the Slash Model Bridge doesn't sound like one would expect a typical A2 pickup. It's pretty a solid, rock pickup. Kind of the way a Pearly Gates doesn't sound like a typical mushy mid A2 pickup. My Slash Bridge sounds like a Custom 5 with the mids filled in, or like a Custom that is lower output and the treble rolled off a bit.
    I agree. Seymour really nailed it with the Slash AII's.

Comment

I agree - the Slash set rocks. Neck doesn't seem too radically different from an A2P, but the bridge really is its own thing.
      IMO there has to be something else going on there beyond a few hundred extra turns. Different tension maybe, or scatter?
      Whatever it is, the pickup is special. I love mine.

Have often been tempted to special order a 4-wire version.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Theobalt View Post

Most hard rock artists are using less gain than what people think.
        Absolutely true, and people tend to get defensive and pissy when you point it out.

Comment

Try lowering the pickup. In my last round of tweaks, this worked on a couple guitars to clean it up and give it a more pure, clear sound. And I love to pile on the gain at times. When the pickup is too high, it just sounds less musical... Honkier, muddier. I've got several pickups lowered to be flush with the pickup rings and pickguard. Also work the guitar volume knob and amp gain - it's amazing how many sounds you can get when the guitar volume isn't at 10. You might find that your great bridge sound comes with guitar volume at 5, or 7, and then you can roll it up as needed.

Another great trick for higher gain clarity is to cut your bass frequencies before the amp with some kind of pedal - EQ, Tubescreamers, preamp, etc.

Last edited by alex1fly; 01-17-2021, 08:24 PM.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

For what it's worth, the Jazz is an A2P with an A5 mag, so you can make that swap for about five bucks.

Comment

An even easier mod is to put allen heads in the A2P. Thins and flattens out the mids.

Comment

Try a Fred in bridge. Perfect.

Comment

Glad to come here and see everyone pointing out the Alnico 2 characteristics in the bridge position. We know that A5 will make it a Jazz bridge, which I think is an underrated bridge pickup, or experiment with A4 (which I personally love in the Jazz/A2P bridge) and A6.

Comment

Never tried a Jazz bridge. Jolly peaks highly of it. Not a fan of the Jazz neck for assorted personal reasons.

I still think A2P neck, 59 bridge is a killer pair.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The A2P neck has been a favorite of mine for years, but I do admit to struggling at times, in certain guitars, with the bridge model. Now that I am more well versed in setting pickup height and adjusting amps, I can make it work much more often. I do however like the Slash Bridge model quite a bit more honestly. It just has that extra something.

And if you like the A2P neck, you will love an A4 59n. I have a Custom Shop 59’n that I put ab A4 mag in, and it’s simply amazing.
                      Play more guitar.

Comment

Since both DMZ pickups and A4 magnets have already been mentioned, has anyone spent any time with the PAF Master set. The neck has an A5 and the bridge has an A4. Besides the trouble of mixing manufacturers, it could work in this situation. In case anyone is interested, for future reference, Here is a link to the bridge pickup page:

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                        And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

I've got a doublethick A2 magnet I wanna stuff into my Sh2 Jazz bridge. This jazz bridge reads a little hot too (8.65k)

An Alnico 2 Pro bridge with extra output sounds like a pickup I'd probably dig
                          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Of Late View Post
                            And if you like the A2P neck, you will love an A4 59n. I have a Custom Shop 59’n that I put ab A4 mag in, and it’s simply amazing.
                            Did you try the APH-1n with an A4 magnet? I thought it would be more suitable for an A4 magnet than the 59n.

Comment

I actually have not, but that is on my list of things to do. I also think that will sound very, very good.
                              Play more guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Stavrose View Post
                                Hey all,

I fitted a set of Alnico pro 2 Humbuckers to my prs se custom 22. The neck pickup sounds great, very happy with that. But the bridge, I’m really not sure...

With the guitar volume 7/8 or over, running into my overdrive pedal with some gain, the sound when playing solos using the bridge pickup is fine and quite impressive BUT when I play full chords with the same settings, its all a bit fizzy and messy sounding, and generally not very pleasant. Kind of splashy, hard to describe. I tried a few pedals that I’m very familiar with, and same issue! And tried other guitars through same pedals to make sure it’s not an issue with the amp or amp settings, it’s not the amp!

Has anyone else experienced this with the AP2 bridge?

Regards and TIA for any advice or insight,
                                Stavs
                                I read somewhere that PAF pickups often needed to have E/A (and sometime D) pole screws way down to remove the muddiness. I had the same problem with my Les Paul and '61 Burstbuckers, that fixed the muddiness.

Comment

Working...
                                X