P-Rail in a Jaguar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Rail in a Jaguar?

Hello all! I'm new to the forum, and I normally try to figure these kinds of things out for myself, but I'm at a loss!

I have a CIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH, and I'd like to install a P-Rail in the bridge. Maybe it's a silly question, but I'm wondering if there's a way to use two of the three on/on DPDT switches (in the lead circuit of the guitar) to independently select each coil of the pickup? I'm willing to sacrifice the tone filter switch in order to accomplish this, as I never use it.

Thanks!

If they are truly DPDT, then they would allow all four modes of the P-Rail: Series, parallel, P-90, and Rail. If someone else doesn't beat me to it, I'll do a diagram a little later. (I'm not on my "graphics" computer just now.)

Comment

ArtieToo that would be amazing! I wasn't expecting to be able to do that, but I'll certainly take the extra tonal options if I can get 'em! Thanks, in advance!

Comment

Ouch. I may have to back-pedal a little. I was just doodling, and you may only be able to do three modes. Let me look at this some more.

Comment

No worries! I'd be more than happy to get just the rail/hum/p90 modes!

Comment

Originally posted by gazerrock View Post
            No worries! I'd be more than happy to get just the rail/hum/p90 modes!
            That's simple. But give me a sec. Still chewing on this.

Comment

I'm certain that I'm overthinking this. I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous...lol. I have all the patience in the world for this. I appreciate you taking the time!

Comment

No prob. I think I already have this in my archives. Looking for it now.

Comment

Ok . . . redrew it to fit the P-Rails specifically. Note that you only need SPDT to make this work. (Right hand side of pic.) Just use one side of each switch. If you already have the DPDT switches, the left hand side has a tiny advantage in that it shorts out the unused coil. But the SPDT version still doesn't leave anything hanging on the hot side. So it's just a matter of if you want to add a couple more jumpers to the switches.

Make sense? And Black/White is the P-90, and Red/Green is the rail.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P-Rail-Modes-01.png Views:	0 Size:	9.2 KB ID:	6049120
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-17-2021, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Oh man, that's GOLD! It does make sense. Thanks so very much! Looks like I'll be soldering late tonight! Seriously this is a huge help, as I've been dying to get this guitar back up and running, and I really wanted to incorporate the P-Rail, but wanted to use it as more than just a straight humbucker.

Much obliged, my good man!

Comment

Cool. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Artie, you are the man

Comment

Working...
                        X