Supro Vistatone Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supro Vistatone Pickups

So I recently built a Supro-inspired guitar using a body that I made myself along with a Warmoth neck. The pickups are Supro Vistatones and I just had to write something about them because the sound great!

Vistatones are an old pickup design that look a lot like humbuckers (the originals were slightly larger, but the new ones are hum sized) but are actually a unique single coil that's somewhat like a p90. Here's a short Premier Guitar article one them https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...pickups?page=6

Anyways the sound: they're very fat, and have more output than I expected without sounding overwound or congested. They have a very "vocal" midrange and go from polite when played soft to growling when pushed. Lots of p90-like qualities, but they also have that great glassy clarity of Fender single coils, the bridge position even has a bit of tele twang. Compared to Supro reissue "gold foils" (which are the Supro Cleartone design) they have a little less juicy roundness and a more aggressive bite. I'd highly recommend trying them if you have a humbucker equipped guitar that you're thinking about changing the pickups in, particularly if you're a fan of p90s.

Last edited by ragamuffin; 01-18-2021, 04:04 PM.

Nice review. Nice build. Is that a Hipshot bridge?

Comment

What a great build

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Nice review. Nice build. Is that a Hipshot bridge?
        Thanks! Yep, Hipshot bridge, I really like them.

Comment

Originally posted by ragamuffin View Post

Thanks! Yep, Hipshot bridge, I really like them.
          Me too. Solid, simple, look good, and sound good.

Comment

What a nice build! What is the neck made out of? Does it have a finish on the back of the neck?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks! The neck is bloodwood with and ebony fretboard. No finish, just polished up really smooth and it feels amazing!

Comment

How is the bloodwood? Is it a heavy neck? I just ordered a Warhead neck, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  How is the bloodwood? Is it a heavy neck? I just ordered a Warhead neck, too.
                  It's really nice, probably my new favorite of the neck woods I own (roasted maple, goncalo, wenge). It's has a very dense and smooth feel and a little bit waxy-er/less dry feeling than roasted maple, but not so much as goncalo or wenge. I suppose it's a little heavy as a neck and I didn't weigh it, but I didn't notice it being much heavier than my other necks either. Nice, what kind of wood is yours?

Comment

Mine will be roasted maple with an ebony fb, and stainless steel scalloped frets.

Comment

That's gorgeous. I like the new Supros well enough, but yours is way nicer looking.
                      ---------------------------
                      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

A bloodwood neck was something I really considered. I have a wenge Warmoth neck with a bloodwood stripe that I really like.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Mine will be roasted maple with an ebony fb, and stainless steel scalloped frets.
                          Very cool, have you played a scalloped neck before? I'd love to try one at some point

Comment

Very cool looking guitar! Any clips?

Really diggin Supro’s stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by ragamuffin View Post

Very cool, have you played a scalloped neck before? I'd love to try one at some point
                              Yes, my main Music Man for 20 years or so has a scalloped neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X