[Help] Help finding the right pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Help] Help finding the right pickups

I'm thinking of buying a Fender Stratocaster and upgrading the pickups. I like playing blues and rock. My eyes have been on the stk 4 set because they are noiseless. I also was looking on the Jimi Hendrix set. I am not set on anything yet. Does anyone have a setup for blues and rock or have tried these two and can give me his perspective?

the stacks are a little thicker and have a bit more output but still sound very much like a single coil. do you use a fuzzface?

Comment

Since i got my Boss Katana i've been using the included effects. So basically some 60's fuzz emulation. I mostly use a blues drive for my blues jams. And lead with a tubescreamer or something like mxr dst+ for more rocky songs.I'm not set on anything yet. Just want a nice base for some blues and rock, and pedals will come after.

Comment

fuzz emulation is fine. its the quirky nature of the actual old fuzzfaces (or accurate repros) that might not sound as good with the stacks. im a big fan of the classic stack plus pups for noiseless strat tones. i did end up preferring the vintage hot bridge (stks7) over the stks4b but ymmv

Comment

Ive seen a loaded pickguard from 920d that has the vintage hot on the neck and an stk6 for the bridge, and have been thinking about that. But i havent heard a demo of it

Comment

i havent spent much time with the stks7 in the neck. it might be nice but i tend to prefer more classic strat neck tones and i think it might be a little think for my preferences. it should match the stks6 in the bridge though

Comment

The STK-S4 is dynamic, doesn't compress your playing, and still sounds like a traditional single coil. It would be first on my list for a Strat to cover traditional sounds especially if you are intrigued and need a noiseless variation. If you don't mind the noise (or believe it is part of the single coil sound), it opens up a lot.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X