No announcement yet.

Tips for Duncans in an old Ibanez RG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with the X2N is that it never backs down. Sounds great, but the BW set is SO much more versatile!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      The problem with the X2N is that it never backs down. Sounds great, but the BW set is SO much more versatile!
      I guess that I don't see that as a problem. At least when paired with the D-Activator N. It backs down just fine while maintaining clarity. And then it can roll up and make the neck slot sound a lot like the typical bridge. Then, depending on your wiring, you can blend it with the X2N in the bridge to shift a few gears up all the way to pure X2N.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

The D-Activator is a great pickup in the neck for sure. Often overlooked

Comment

It just never seems to mush out, no matter how much gain it sees.
          And you know how I like gain.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by robo View Post

Huh! I got it all wrong then. I need to check them out a bit more. Thank you!
            Hey Robo, I've played an RG Ibanez with the Black Winter pickups and I got great results from it.
            I know it's marketed towards a black metal kind of thing, which it obviously can do, but I predominantly use them in the context
            of stuff like BoltThrower, Death, Asphyx, etc. But we also have some clean parts in our songs so I need pickups that'll work well in
            that context as well. Chords ring out clear without being twangy or piercing, plenty of thickness without being mushy when I've got distortion on.
            My tunings vary between drop-D and low A#, so I needed something that would sound clear yet heavy and the BW's work very well for that.
            I'm a fan of boosted mids anyhow, I realize that isn't right for everyone especially depending on how you EQ your amp and everything.
            Anyhow, I've used just about every different configuration over the last several years and my "go-to" for Death Metal is definitely the Black Winters.
            Just my two cents on that, I'll be very curious to hear what you go with and how it works out!

Comment

Hey guys! Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up with a Pegasus pickup. I really like it. Nails the lead and still chugs with attitude.

Comment

Cool. I went with the Mayhem set in my basswood Charvel Model 3A. Works great.

I have a PAF Pro, Virtual middle , Super Distortion bridge in an RG550 in black that sounds great too.

Comment

PATB-1 set. You can thank me later.
                  Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by robo View Post
                    Hey guys! Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up with a Pegasus pickup. I really like it. Nails the lead and still chugs with attitude.
                    Yeah, the Pegasus is one hell of a pickup, and as a bonus, it does a lot of other cool things than just metal. Happy this works for you!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X