Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB and Custom in HH positions

Good day,

So according to another thread, it seems I have a Duncan Custom (SH-5) that I am thinking about putting in another guitar. That guitar is one of the Ibanez LP-ish clones. It currently has JB's in it (both neck and bridge), but the bridge JB seems to be going out. It has extremely low output when wired correctly while the other one works fine.

Would it be better to have the Custom in the bridge or to put the Custom in the neck and move the neck JB to the bridge? The main consideration is volume. I want to say the JB is hotter and I'm concerned that, if I leave it in the neck position, it'll overpower the Custom in the bridge volume-wise.

Thanks
    Last edited by GreatOz; 01-21-2021, 11:40 AM.

the jb has more output than a custom so you might have balance issues but, ive used a sh5 custom in the neck and it was great for FAT solo tones. that said, you can probably balance the volumes if you keep the jb in the neck low and the custom in the bridge high. swapping an a3 into either pup in the neck would help with output disparity

Comment

Hamer did a JB/CC combo. Every time this comes up it reminds my I want to try it out. Thick and liquid solo tones...
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I would think that the Custom in the neck (set at a good height) would be louder than a JB in the bridge. I would think that you'd have to lower the Custom considerably.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The pickup combo in the Hamer Monaco Elite was a CC in the bridge and a Custom in the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yes. have that guitar and that pup combo. love the guitar, didnt love the pup combo. just too hot over all, its got a pgn and antiquity bridge and sounds fantastic.

Comment

Sounds to me that these two pups would be annoying to balance out.

The JB is in theory more output correct?

Comment

The JB is louder, but the vibrating strings at the neck position are inherently louder than by the bridge.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would put the Custom in the bridge and put a PG or 59’ or APH or similar in the neck....and then have a serious rock machine. A Custom in an LP type guitar is killer, and so is a PG or APH.
                  Play more guitar.

Comment

Working...
                  X