Lipstick Pickup Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

This is true...I am not a fan of the tone, either. But their lower power might be a plus if they were mounted vertically. Is there a problem you are trying to solve by doing that, or is it just a 'wouldn't it be cool' idea?
    That idea is more on the supply side of problems.

Comment

The idea for me is just a more of a, could it work sort of thing, and it might be a fun way to test parallel and series switching. Or to run a traditional pickup in parallel or series with the 5-6 tube pickups

Comment

One lipstick PU per string and parallel to it = 0.64' (width of the baseplate). Six of them would take 3.84' = 9.76cm.

String spacing in my Strat with lipsticks is of approximatively 5cm under the mid PU. It leaves enough space for 3 lipstick PU's, not six. i'd rather think to 3 rails PU's with one blade per string.

Regarding the "sensing windows": the effect of its width would be a drastic diminution of harmonics, as shown in the simulation below (black line = fundamental & harmonics of a neck PU perpendicular to strings. Blue line = the same with PU parallel to strings. Thx to don Tilman for his useful applet allowing to do this : http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/).

Click image for larger version

Name:	perpendicularSCvsSCparallelToStrings.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	6050198

It would sound very muddy and with lipsticks, mud would be aggravated by Foucault currents. Unless the PU's would be wired in parallel, in which case they would sound very weak - without solving potential problems with "stratitis" and shortened sustain due to magnetism.

Regarding lipsticks in general: they are low inductance pickups whose response is softened by Eddy currents. Their interest is in their chime IMHO and IME. Anybody who would find them too soft and/or weak can pair them with a 500k volume and a no load pot: that's what I have and my Strat with lipsticks does not sound weak (at least its lipsticks are not weaker than its CS69 bridge PU). If it's too bright, just add a low value cap (470pF to 1nF) from ground to hot - or plug the guitar through a long cable...

FWIW: morning post before coffee. Have a nice day! :-)
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
          One lipstick PU per string and parallel to it = 0.64' (width of the baseplate). Six of them would take 3.84' = 9.76cm.

String spacing in my Strat with lipsticks is of approximatively 5cm under the mid PU. It leaves enough space for 3 lipstick PU's, not six. i'd rather think to 3 rails PU's with one blade per string.

Regarding the "sensing windows": the effect of its width would be a drastic diminution of harmonics, as shown in the simulation below (black line = fundamental & harmonics of a neck PU perpendicular to strings. Blue line = the same with PU parallel to strings. Thx to don Tilman for his useful applet allowing to do this : http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/).

Click image for larger version

Name:	perpendicularSCvsSCparallelToStrings.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	6050198

It would sound very muddy and with lipsticks, mud would be aggravated by Foucault currents. Unless the PU's would be wired in parallel, in which case they would sound very weak - without solving potential problems with "stratitis" and shortened sustain due to magnetism.

Regarding lipsticks in general: they are low inductance pickups whose response is softened by Eddy currents. Their interest is in their chime IMHO and IME. Anybody who would find them too soft and/or weak can pair them with a 500k volume and a no load pot: that's what I have and my Strat with lipsticks does not sound weak (at least its lipsticks are not weaker than its CS69 bridge PU). If it's too bright, just add a low value cap (470pF to 1nF) from ground to hot - or plug the guitar through a long cable...

FWIW: morning post before coffee. Have a nice day! :-)
          I don’t think I was quite ready to learn all this LOL, but thank you!

Comment

I think freefrog hit the main points of the problem, but you could do three angled so that each pup covered two strings, at a slight angle.

I like my Lipstick equipped Squier Surf Strat, but I usually run it through my SFX-01 to give it a bit more girth. Nice jangly tone. Especially the notch positions.

Comment

Working...
            X