Bass preamp - Two extra wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass preamp - Two extra wires

I was given a two-band preamp. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but am looking to wire it up. The preamp came to me with no pots connected. I've figured out the treble, bass, and blend wiring. I also have the output jack sorted. My problem is, there are five wires remaining that go from the preamp module to the volume pot. Normally, there would be three wires.

I believe this specific preamp was made so that it could be switched on and off with a push/pull pot. In fact, I did some digging and found a similar preamp that shows the same five colored wires going to the volume - on/off pot. I grabbed (and have attached) a screen shot of the picture, but sadly, it is not possible to tell where the wires connect.

Also, the pot appears to be a dual gang - push/pull... which makes this even more confusing.

The remaining wires are: Red, White, Black, Yellow, Blue. All are coming from the preamp module itself.

Can anyone help me get this figured out?

Can you get better pics, so we can maybe identify the manufacturer?

Comment

Pic is attached.

I went to the XinQi.com site. They show the various functions that the preamp can be wired up to perform (there is an impressive number of possibilities btw), but they do not show the actual schematic. Other sites refer to the XinQi XQ-1 preamp and some display a schematic, but none have the blue and yellow pairs or the extra red wire that extends from the left side of the preamp. These pairs are, in fact, the wires that have me stumped.

I've figured out the remaining wires and their functions. At the top of the preamp from left to right...

Black - Ground
      White - Signal Input from Push/Pull pot

Red, Yellow, Green, Black - Treble Pot
      Red, Yellow, Green, Black - Bass Pot

Red - Battery +
      Green - Ground
      Black - Ground to Bridge

(The missing yellow wire at the base of the preamp is normally cut.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3400.JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.3 KB ID:	6050341
      Last edited by Mayuiers; 01-22-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Incidentally, I sent a message to the XinQi company asking for assistance. If they respond with a viable schematic I'll be sure to provide an update so that others can benefit.

I used Google Translate to swap my English message into Chinese so there's a 50/50 chance that the translation actually worked properly. For all I know I ended up asking if I could date their pet canary while wearing a single tube sock.

Comment

Little known fact: canaries LOVE tube socks.

Comment

Sometimes these bass preamps have a "slap switch", or EQ switch. Trouble is, that's purely conjecture without a schematic. Hopefully they'll respond.

Comment

Working...
            X