Humbucker internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker internals

I just removed an old humbucker from an Aria Guitar.
    The pickup sounds nice - but I wonder whether it is put together as it should be:

It's construction is just as a Gibson T Top - actually the Aria Pickup has the very T and number marks just as the Gibsons.
    The magnet touches the tapped metal piece through which the screw pole pieces are being screwed.
    But the 6 plain pole pieces do not touch the magnet. There's a gap of about 1/16" between the magnet side and these 6 metal pieces.

I looked at many pictures of PAFs and T Tops, but it looks as if there were some PUs in which the magnet touches and some in which it does not.

What is considered correct?

Thank you very much in advance
    Tom

If the pickup sounds nice, it's as it should be.

Comment

welcome to the forum!

its not unheard of for there to be a small gap between the magnet and the pole pieces. many/most humbuckers have the magnet touching both sets of pole pieces the way gibson did it in the 50's. there are pup makes that intentionally leave that gap since it changes the sound a bit so there is nothing wrong with the way your pup is as long as it sounds good

Comment

beaubrummels, jeremy,
        Thank you for your prompt replies, and thank you very much for the warm welcome to the forum.

So much research goes into every most minute detail of PAF construction, materials and manufacturing processes.
        And all the extreme efforts to reproduce them as accurately as possible.

But this assumingly critical detail seems to be a matter of coincidence.

Pickup science seems to be a weird faculty and art.
        (Pun intended.)

Comment

Working...
        X