Looking for the right replacement humbucker for a slide guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the right replacement humbucker for a slide guitar

I have two slide guitars. One has two Epiphone humbuckers (they are not Epihone's current alnico vintage models, but an older, lower-end model). The other slide guitar has a 28-year-0ld Seymorized Mini-Humbucker (I believe this model is still available on the Seymor Duncan website; it is a hot version of the Firebird mini with similar volume output to a regular humbucker, but much brighter).

The problem with the Epiphone humbuckers is that the response on the high E string is very weak compared to the B and G strings. On the guitar with the Seymorized mini humbucker the high string response is much better, as are high pitched harmonics. When played unplugged, both guitars have a fairly even response across the strings.

What kind of full-sized replacement humbucker would give me better slide guitar response on the high E string?

Welcome to the forum!

I would think any humbucker with the tone you like that has adjustable poles would work (which is most of them). You can certainly tilt the pickup, too. Duncans are generally very balanced unless it is a lower-output pickup that has poles that completely miss the strings.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think an Alinco 2 Pro might be somewhat similar in sound to the Seymourized Firebird pickup. Other options might be a Seth or Antiquity. Brobucker would be a good option also. A Pearly Gates or Jazz would brighten up the high E, B, G strings. Not clear to me if you want the E, B, G to be thicker/rounder, or brighter. Making it louder is just a matter of pickup height and adjustable screw height.

Comment

there isnt really a full size bucker that sounds like the sm3, which is a great up by the way. any duncan is going to be better than what you have now. on the guitar with the epi buckers, the e string is quiet on both pups? are you looking for a set of pups or just one?

Comment

To answer various questions: Yes, I am looking for a set of replacement buckers. Yes, the poor high E string response occurs with both of my current Epi pickups. I am thinking that the Alnico 2 Pro set might work. Epiphone has a much better humbucker set that they use on their better model guitars, such as their ES-335 series (I have one of these for standard tuning and love the pickups). These Epiphone pickups (not sold separately) are billed as "vintage alnico," which makes me think that the Duncan Alnico 2 Pro might be similar. Also the Pearly Gates description sounds like it might work well, too, though I've never played that pickup.

Comment

The midrange vowel tone of some DiMarzio models helps make them good for slide work.

Are you seeking a sound that's similar to the mini, or just good string balance?
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
            X