Yellow Ledbetter tone :: Tele / JB + ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EC Strat View Post

Totally agree - it’s a 2 or a 4 position Probably position 2 to me as well. Definitely not the bridge
    Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    That tone to my ears sounds more like a position 2 Strat tone than full bridge.
    Wire the the JB to auto split in position 2 and have the middle pickup in there as well.
    That tone quacks like a duck.
    I just remembered we are talking about a tele here...so that limits our options.
    My bad...

Comment

I just remembered we are talking about a tele here...so that limits our options.
      My bad...
      LOLOL good point !

just did a google and many are saying it’s 4th position Either way really just have to run a strat into a clean Marshall with one of the quack positions. Hard to nail that tone on a tele

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post

Yes I am aware it was recorded with bridge pup, But let’s be honest, it sounds much more like a neck pup, to my ears at least.

I should have been more clear in my OP.
        Let me start over.

I play live all the time. That song has my fav type of strat tone. That’s what I would like if I could have it.
        All I can do is get close.

When that song comes up in the playlist, I want it to sound as best as it can. If I am real close to that, that means it’s gonna sound great when the RHCP, Dire Straights, INXS, Hendrix and Clapton songs are up in the set.
        And then we have Bark at the Moon, Round and Round and alike, well — I got that covered already.

My rig is pretty versatile (AMT B2, 60w PA, various fuzzes & other pedals > 2x12 w/ WGS’s).

My P90’s work extremely well, but for this guitar I want to try something more akin.

Which SC can get me close to those tones that’s also great for *****in’ leads?
        Was being a smartass. One of my favorite Strat songs ever is “Sultans of Swing”, but I hate playing with the 2, middle-bridge position on a Strat. Sounds awesome when Mark Knopfler does it, feels disgusting when I do it. Go figure.

I say go with the “pretty close” tone you’re using now, and don’t overthink totally copping the original tone too much. My first job was setting up and tearing down for a really busy cover band in high school. They packed every place they played, and made something like two grand a weekend. The guitarist used an old Ibanez Artist on the neck pickup for the entire gig, plus a multi effect unit with a clean, funky patch, and another similar patch with no modulation or delay into a Mesa DC3. He’d switch between a clean and crunch tone on the amp, and those two effects banks.

A few years in, he got a PRS Custom 24, and ditched the rack unit for a tubescreamer, a Wah, analog delay and a chorus. I’m pretty sure he used just one of the split settings and the neck pickup on the PRS, and still sounded killer for everything from 70’s funk to modern pop & alternative, 90’s stuff like No Doubt, the Chili Peppers, or the Cranberries.
        Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 01-25-2021, 05:39 AM.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I say, get a new pickguard, and throw in a Classic Stack. It is noiseless, and has a great ideal Strat neck tone.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

LOLOL good point !

just did a google and many are saying it’s 4th position Either way really just have to run a strat into a clean Marshall with one of the quack positions. Hard to nail that tone on a tele
            When I was typing my earlier response I went back and forth in my head about which position that sounded like. Only reason I said 2 was because there is still quite a bit of high end there. In any case it was my best semi-educated guess. Lol

Comment

When I was typing my earlier response I went back and forth in my head about which position that sounded like. Only reason I said 2 was because there is still quite a bit of high end there. In any case it was my best semi-educated guess. Lol
              Agree with you, sounds like too much treble for it to be 4th position Most folks default to saying 4th bc they it’s the most common

Comment

Totally agree - it’s a 2 or a 4 position Probably position 2 to me as well. Definitely not the bridge
                I watched a live video of them playing it, his switch is definitely all the way back.

Edit- just listened to it... it does sound like position 2 (bridge and middle). Who knows... regardless, it’s pretty thin and bright
                Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 01-25-2021, 07:43 AM.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I say, get a new pickguard, and throw in a Classic Stack. It is noiseless, and has a great ideal Strat neck tone.
                  This gave me an idea.

Frogman, many (not all) modern made Teles have a middle position singlecoil route already in place from the factory underneath that pickguard. You should check under yours to see If you have one. A middle position SC is essential for quack, which is what is going on in Positions 2 and 4. You would then have the option to choose whether to involve the Bridge pup at all (Position 2) or you opt for the Neck + Middle pups (Position 4). B4 replacing the neck p90, you should see if the Position 4 of middle SC plus P90 gets you close enough for your liking.

However, i agree with the others, that my ear is hearing more of a bridge pup involved type sound on Yellow Ledbetter - whether that is a Position two areangement or just the bridge pup split - than something that involves the neck pickup.

If your guitar has no middle route, i suspect that if all you do is replace the neck P90 with a neck singlecoil, you're still going to find the result lacking and need to combo the bridge pup in parallel to the neck SC someway, whether the bridge is full on, its split, in parallel w itself, or partially split like Clint recommended.
                  Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                          FYI: i clicked in the video link, it comes up as
                          blocked

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

This one reports as blocked too. But luckily notthe third link you posted

Comment

And there it is, definitively. A strat. 3 singlecoils. Pup selector switch set to Position 2, bridge and middle.

Thanks for posting that MC.

Comment

I figured might as well look up some examples, rather than perpetuate the guessing game

In the first video I posted, he shoves it into the bridge position and then appears to subtly drag it back into position 2 as he moves his hand back up
                                Last edited by Masta' C; 01-25-2021, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X