X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this bad? Tape coming off pickup

I have never had this happen before.
    Attached Files

Irrelevant (unless you manage to pickscratch through the windings by accident)

You could always put on more/new tape if it bothers you
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Sometimes, especially in humid environments, this happens. It won't hurt anything. If it does bother you, you can buy cloth pickup tape and re-wrap it. Don't use electrical tape, as it gets gummy over time.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks. I found some 3m cloth electrical tape on the Home Depot site. I’ll pick up some tomorrow. I’ll give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Don't use electrical tape, as it gets gummy over time.
          Mincer is right. Use only paper tape for coils!
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I use cloth tape.

Comment

I have also had that happen in pickguards with the humbucker hole not being wide enough with Trembuckers that have the winds coming closer to the edge of the bobbin. The tape starts to get pulled down as one adjusts the humbucker up. I have sanded the edges of pickguard humbucker routes to keep this from happening.

Comment

I think that is exactly what happened. It is a trem bucker. I will rewrap and widen the hole a little.

Comment

As much as I hate Stew-Mac's shipping charges, I always keep a couple rolls of their pickup tape around. It appears to be the exact tape that Duncan uses.

Comment

It's very serious and your pickup might blow up soon.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      As much as I hate Stew-Mac's shipping charges, I always keep a couple rolls of their pickup tape around. It appears to be the exact tape that Duncan uses.

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/...coil-tape.html
                      I swear they double their income on the shipping charges alone. Shipping a roll of tape is like $8. I only order unless I am getting a lot more stuff.

Comment

I swear they double their income on the shipping charges alone. Shipping a roll of tape is like $8. I only order unless I am getting a lot more stuff.
                        Ditto here. And I always try to find it somewhere else first.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          It's very serious and your pickup might blow up soon.
                          I have been playing for over 40 years. I believe you! lmao.

Comment

I use cloth tape.
                            I do use the coth tape for the outer protection of the whole pickup. It's pretty gummy too. Straight on the coil wire only paper tape. You will love when you need to go into the winding.
                            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Sometimes, especially in humid environments, this happens.
                              Just curious, since I have always lived in climates where humidity is either low or average....are there a lot of issues with Nickel Covered pickups in either coastal or heavily humid environments?

Comment

Working...
                              X