No announcement yet.

Is this bad? Tape coming off pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly - you don’t NEED anything to cover the coils. I mean really, why would you every even touch the coils?

But the wire is delicate, so - it doesn’t hurt.

Cloth tape definitely better, but again, if you used electrical tape and it got gummy...why would you be removing it anyway?

Really no wrong answer here - everything (or nothing) works, just a matter of how much effort you care to put in.

Super-cool version is: Nylon braid flat cord (like backpack straps) or thin nylon strips attach=he’d with a small piece of tape. Covered, but removable.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

More than a decade ago I used black hockey tape to fix my '59 neck pickup where the tape was unravelling and have had no problems with it since. Seems like a good idea to keep the coils covered - they're pretty delicate.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

You may use whatever tape you find, but you have to peel it off the windings you will love paper tape.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Finally we've found a pickup that doesn't like its magnet instead of the owner not liking it.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
            You may use whatever tape you find, but you have to peel it off the windings you will love paper tape.
            . OK, where can I find it?

Comment

I bought proper cloth tape from Stew Mac. Even if it's not the cheapest option, it's cheaper than replacing the pickups if I damage the coil pulling tape on/off.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                I bought proper cloth tape from Stew Mac. Even if it's not the cheapest option, it's cheaper than replacing the pickups if I damage the coil pulling tape on/off.
                That's what I did. I waiting until I had a bigger order to justify the high shipping prices.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Me too

Comment

Amazon has some good pickup tape "12mm 100ft Insulating Acetate Cloth Adhesive Tape for Laptop Electric Automotive Guitar Repair" 10mm works for most pups. i use the 12mm though because most of pickups have 1.5x ceramic mags
                    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by omni 1 View Post
                      . OK, where can I find it?
                      paper tape straight on the copper wire

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/...coil-tape.html
                      Last edited by hamerfan; 02-08-2021, 10:33 AM.
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I swear they double their income on the shipping charges alone. Shipping a roll of tape is like $8. I only order unless I am getting a lot more stuff.
                        Stewmac wants 30-35$ for copper adhesive tape for like 10’ or something. I found a 25’ roll from Wal mart for 10 bucks

Comment

Stewmac is wack.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

stewmac has great stuff at not great prices and their shipping costs arent cheap either

Comment

Working...
                            X