How to keep pickups flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep pickups flat?

Whether you're using springs or tubing, what methods do you all use for keeping your pickups flat?

My Tele neck pickup was flat until I added additional tubing so I could lower it more. The tubing was a bit angled, which I think contributed to the pickup being a little slanted towards the neck. The OCD would like a flat pickup, please
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Sometimes I cut up the foam the pickup came in, and put it underneath. It seems to work well. While I like the '2 screw' method of pickup mounting better than the unsightly '3 screw' method, you'd think this would have been redesigned at some point.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use the foam as well.

Comment

the unsightly '3 screw' method
        So, Dave - how a guitar looks is more important to you than how well it plays or how nice it sounds? I'm surprised at your shallowness.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I would recut the tubing until it was just right.

Comment

I can see the value of using foam as a balancing mechanism. Nice.

Any votes for tossing the tubing and going with springs?
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I prefer springs.

Comment

Springs last longer, as the tubing can crumble over the years. Although I really hate when putting the springs on the screw and they go flying across the room. It happens every time.

Comment

I usually cut the springs (and screws) to where they're a good length for the height I'm gonna put the pup then I'll just faf with the springs until they cause the pickup to sit level.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Springs last longer, as the tubing can crumble over the years. Although I really hate when putting the springs on the screw and they go flying across the room. It happens every time.
                    Hey there Mincer, I feel your pain! Try using alligator clips and push the spring down enough to clip the screw so the spring stays compressed and leave some room at the end to start the screw. Then just unclip it once the screw has started going in.

Comment

Originally posted by Zheddar View Post

Hey there Mincer, I feel your pain! Try using alligator clips and push the spring down enough to clip the screw so the spring stays compressed and leave some room at the end to start the screw. Then just unclip it once the screw has started going in.
                      Great idea! I am going to have to try that.

Comment

Just cut the springs slightly shorter than the screws..
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

You want the springs to be compressed most of the way when the pickup is in it's sweet-spot distance from the strings.
                          If you have used the same pickup model before then you can account for that(mag strength) and all the other factors like ring/bezel height, string action and gauges ect., and then cut the spring to the perfect length.
                          You can also slightly warp one of the screws itself if using with ring-mount.

For direct-mount I just use the right amount of foam for the same reason, so that it is compressed fairly tight at the right pickup-height.
                          Simply use two pieces of foam of different thickness/density if you want the bridge-side a bit higher for a very slight inward lean to the pickup. (better than flat IMO)

Personally I don't see the 3-screw method as a negative at all cosmetically speaking, and functionally it's just better in every way. Loaded and locked!
                          With 3-screw direct-mount it is even less visible, although I can't even see what looks "bad" about it anyways.

Last edited by dave74; 01-28-2021, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Foam works great!
                            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Zheddar View Post

Sweet Baby Jesus, that's genius.

Comment

Working...
                              X