Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot and Clear neck HB

hey!

I've got a guitar with a decent bridge pup at 12k, swapped the neck pup (9k3) cause it was too muddy. The new pup is a PAF type but the volume drop is a bit too much now when switching from bridge to neck.

Any recommendations on neck HB's that are a bit hotter (9-10k) but don't mud up when distorted?

Thanks forum

gets tricky, you might try a screamin demon in the neck

Comment

+1 for the Screamin' Demon in the neck. I use it myself in one of my guitars with a Screamin' Demon in the bridge. Can't go wrong there, IMO. I heard a lot about it being a great neck pickup before I tried it myself and glad I did try it. I have it oriented same was as it would be in the bridge, screw poles closer to the bridge.

Comment

i use a jazz bridge in the neck of a les paul with an evh frankenstein in the bridge...matches well volume wise and sounds killer.
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Yeah, it certainly gets tricky. You might try another bridge pickup in the neck, and pull it away from the strings. Adding power tends to fill up the mids in passive pickups. You can also try having a less powerful bridge pickup.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Based on my experience you might be looking for the Sentient.

Comment

I too would second the Sentient. It keeps up with hot bridge pups just fine, and it handles high gain very well. Articulate but smooth.

Comment

I have a Sentient that is paired with a Nazgul and works great, like the Sentient better than the Nazgul
                1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400
                Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Well, the Sentient, and by that token, the Full Shred, are certainly clear, but not really hot.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really like the Sentient. I would go that route if it were me and play with the pickup height of both to get them as balanced back and forth as possible. The other option would be the Holcomb neck pickup. (Alpha)
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Bill Lawrence L500, one of the low inductance versions. They don't come any clearer than that.

Never tried the Sentient myself so I can't make a call on that one.

Out of Duncan models I've had, I second the Demon. Good clarity with vintage-plus output.
                      Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 01-29-2021, 12:25 AM.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

D-Activator Neck or Lace Alumitone/Deathbucker.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I also came here to suggest a Lawrence or Wilde L500, either an R or an L. I really like them as neck pickups. I have a C in two of my guitars but there is a volume drop from my Super Distortion bridge pickups. So go L500-R or L500-L for more volume.
                          If you want more conventional looks or a Duncan specifically, the Jazz bridge-in-neck-position sounds quite interesting.

Comment

Working...
                          X