Who "invented" the Custom 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who "invented" the Custom 5?

I wish I could take credit for it, since it's my favorite Duncan, but the truth is it worked just the opposite for me.

I've been a lifelong Duncan user, saw the review for the C-5 in Guitar Player, tried it, and think it's in the top 3 of the best Duncan bridge humbuckers ever made, along with the Antiquity and JB.

Because of my interest in studying the info on all the Customs, I found my way here and am now a daytime addict of this place.

At this point, I have only one request. Start advertising the Custom 5 in Guitar Player and Guitar World! Start sending all the GC's, Sam Ash's, and others, some Custom 5's and info on them, so their employees are even aware of them!

I see a lot of ads for the Dimebucker and 59, but not the other good one's.
    You guys have the "new improved JB" and it seems like you're sitting on the secret, not letting it out there, so you can capitalize on it.

Part of me doesn't mind, tho. It's become one of my little "tone secrets."
    Well, besides here!
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-20-2004, 04:53 PM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I just tried the JB, PATB2, PATB3, custom custom, SH-6, Screamin demon and now have the C-5 in my mohagony schecter. My favorite is the C-5 although I like the bass and highs I think it could use a little more mids. Is there any way to get more mids I have them cranked on my dual rectifier and the band wants more. My second favorite is the PATB2 (distortion) although it is a little too compressed and gainy for me but not as compressed or artificial as the sh-6 version of the distortion. Can I swap the magnets in the PATB2 with the magnets in my C5 trembucker? Maybe I could get more mids out of the C5 or less compression/gain from the PATB2?? I also liked the PATB3 for leads (best yet) It has alot of bite and cuts thru the mix but is a little too thin or linear compared to the C-5
      My bands links:

PEDL
      www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
      www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
      www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

You could put an A3 or A4 mag in the C5...
        Originally posted by The Minstrel
        Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Do you know which one would give more mids? Still retain the bass and overall tone
          My bands links:

PEDL
          www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
          www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
          www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

They both would. The A3 would give more mids than the A4, but would also bring you closer to the CC, which you said you didn't like.
            Originally posted by The Minstrel
            Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

It was the really old board. Terrible board software, but it was a pretty small tight community backthen. Not too many of us left here.

Jolly, help me figure out who was there....

jolly, me, robert s., jeremy, rodney, evan, mr. hm, donzo, mincer, yontz, kevlar3000, gunner....

did I get any of those wrong?

As far as the C5, I seem to remember that it was Robert S. that I first remember doing it.

For what it was worth, I voted for Custom Custom Custom.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F

Jolly, help me figure out who was there....

jolly, me, robert s., jeremy, rodney, evan, mr. hm, donzo, mincer, yontz, kevlar3000, gunner....

did I get any of those wrong?
                When I wrote the afforementioned, I was trying to remember people's names as well. You came up with more names than I did. All of the ones you have listed are correct. I actually saw yontz on here a couple of weeks ago. That was the first time I'd seen him around in at least a year and a half. I remember that Butch was on the original board as well. Maybe we should star a post asking who was on the original board. I'd like to know because I really can't remember.

Comment

Do any of you remember before Rodney was admin? Kellie ran the board prior to Rodney. And before that, I ran the board (starting in '96).

Two other names from way back, Nick Totoro and Butch Snyder.
                  Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                  Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
                    Actually, the pickup was first conceived by Seymour. I was with him at the time. He was helping voice a Godin LG, and for the bridge pickup he recommended a "Custom Custom with an alnico 5." We sold it for a few years to Godin as the "SH-11+ Custom Custom Plus." In fact, that's the bridge humbucker still used on Godin guitars.

Totally independent of that, some members of this forum started making them and calling them "Custom Custom Custom," or "C3." It became the most popular mod of an SD pickup I'd ever seen. After some time, someone from the Forum said, "Hey Evan, I know you're reading this: ever think you might have a product here?"

So we took up the suggestion of the forum and released it as a product.

We actually had a vote in the forum on what to call it. "Custom 5" narrowly beat out "C3" and "Custom Custom Custom." We also had forum members write the description of the pickup.

I hope that answers the question.
                    I remember that poll - about two or three years ago!

God I'm getting older. . .
                    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I came in when Kellie was running it in '97.
                      -Butch Snyder
                      butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Working...
                      X