banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing Alnico Pro II Neck and Bridge PU's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Replacing Alnico Pro II Neck and Bridge PU's

    As the subject suggests, I'm looking to swap out the stock APTR-1 and APTL-1 from my Tele. I find that the neck pickup is too dark, and the bridge pickup could use a little mids. Any suggestions? I'm playing mostly P&W, blues, and classic rock. I think vintage output single coils are more along the lines of what I'm looking for. All help appreciated!

  • #2
    Welcome to the forum!

    I'd suggest a Jerry Donahue in the bridge, and an Antiquity 55 in the neck. The Jerry has mids, and more power, but still sounds like a Telecaster pickup. The Antiquity 55 is a cleaner/less-dark rhythm pickup. You can also swap the neck pickup (and pickguard) for something like a good Strat pickup (like a Five Two, or Vintage Staggered) for a cleaner/clearer sound.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a Broadcaster and Antiquity 55 in my ash tele. Plays almost every kind of music I've needed in cover bands; country, rock, blues, pop, funk, etc.

      My other tele has a Fender Twisted Tele set, which is like mix between a Strat and a bright vintage Les Paul sound. Good for more modern music. Less twangy but some twang is still there.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Welcome to the forum!

        I'd suggest a Jerry Donahue in the bridge, and an Antiquity 55 in the neck. The Jerry has mids, and more power, but still sounds like a Telecaster pickup. The Antiquity 55 is a cleaner/less-dark rhythm pickup. You can also swap the neck pickup (and pickguard) for something like a good Strat pickup (like a Five Two, or Vintage Staggered) for a cleaner/clearer sound.
        If I stuck with a tele pickup but wanted a little more treble than what the antiquity 55 has then what would you suggest?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          I have a Broadcaster and Antiquity 55 in my ash tele. Plays almost every kind of music I've needed in cover bands; country, rock, blues, pop, funk, etc.

          My other tele has a Fender Twisted Tele set, which is like mix between a Strat and a bright vintage Les Paul sound. Good for more modern music. Less twangy but some twang is still there.
          The broadcaster sounds a bit too twangy. As far as the Twisted Tele set, I've heard mixed reviews about them -- and I already have a strat and LP.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ctbaggett View Post

            The broadcaster sounds a bit too twangy.
            That's where your tone control comes in. But good luck. You've already ruled out a few.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ctbaggett View Post

              If I stuck with a tele pickup but wanted a little more treble than what the antiquity 55 has then what would you suggest?
              Perhaps the Vintage Tele...?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by skelt101 View Post

                Perhaps the Vintage Tele...?
                That would be my suggestion, too.
                Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks, Everyone! I think I'll give the Vintage Tele and Jerry Donahue a try.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Let us know how this project turns out!
                    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      I have a Broadcaster and Antiquity 55 in my ash tele. Plays almost every kind of music I've needed in cover bands; country, rock, blues, pop, funk, etc.

                      My other tele has a Fender Twisted Tele set, which is like mix between a Strat and a bright vintage Les Paul sound. Good for more modern music. Less twangy but some twang is still there.
                      Interesting description of the Twisted Tele. Before I bought my Tele, I borrowed a friend's MIA for about a month. It had a Twisted Tele set in it. The bridge pickup was much different than what I was expecting based on Telecaster lore - hotter, darker, warmer, more humbucker-like. Not by much but enough to change the character a bit. I can see how it'd make a useful set for a player trying to get tones from both sides of the aisle.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Since I have this thread going already I'll also ask about wiring. What do you think of this?

                        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H935FBE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                        Last edited by ctbaggett; 01-29-2021, 01:46 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Let us know how this project turns out!
                          I put on the finishing touches today but I did a lot more than just replacing the pickups: new tuning machines, bridge/saddles, 4-way switch, CTS pots, 50's wiring, upgraded input jack cover, and of course, a good cleaning. In the end, I'm really happy with how things turned.The Vintage Tele pickup was exactly what I was hoping for: warm, articulate, and doesn't get lost in the mix. The Jerry Donahue is an undeniably bright pickup, but it has some beef in the mids/low-mids so that it isn't all treble. I was very surprised to find that the two in parallel do a better quack than my old Alnico Pro's, and when in series they have a thick sound almost like a humbucker in the neck. Before this project I had 2 pickups, 3 positions, and 1 good sound: position 1 with volume and tone maxed. Now I have 2 pickups, 4 positions, and I can get tons of great sounds out of the volume and tone controls.

                          I appreciate the help finding my pickups!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wow, very cool! Now we just need to see a pic of this project!
                            Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ctbaggett View Post
                              Since I have this thread going already I'll also ask about wiring. What do you think of this?

                              https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H935FBE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                              Save yourself $10-20 and buy the separate components...Oak-Grigsby sw, CTS or Alpha pots, Switchcraft jack, any good cap (=$15-25 with free shipping, depending on where you buy them).

                              JD pup is really good. Might also consider a tapped Quarter Pound for lots of versatility (my personal fav for a Tele bridge).
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X