Replacing Alnico Pro II Neck and Bridge PU's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Alnico Pro II Neck and Bridge PU's

As the subject suggests, I'm looking to swap out the stock APTR-1 and APTL-1 from my Tele. I find that the neck pickup is too dark, and the bridge pickup could use a little mids. Any suggestions? I'm playing mostly P&W, blues, and classic rock. I think vintage output single coils are more along the lines of what I'm looking for. All help appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest a Jerry Donahue in the bridge, and an Antiquity 55 in the neck. The Jerry has mids, and more power, but still sounds like a Telecaster pickup. The Antiquity 55 is a cleaner/less-dark rhythm pickup. You can also swap the neck pickup (and pickguard) for something like a good Strat pickup (like a Five Two, or Vintage Staggered) for a cleaner/clearer sound.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a Broadcaster and Antiquity 55 in my ash tele. Plays almost every kind of music I've needed in cover bands; country, rock, blues, pop, funk, etc.

My other tele has a Fender Twisted Tele set, which is like mix between a Strat and a bright vintage Les Paul sound. Good for more modern music. Less twangy but some twang is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest a Jerry Donahue in the bridge, and an Antiquity 55 in the neck. The Jerry has mids, and more power, but still sounds like a Telecaster pickup. The Antiquity 55 is a cleaner/less-dark rhythm pickup. You can also swap the neck pickup (and pickguard) for something like a good Strat pickup (like a Five Two, or Vintage Staggered) for a cleaner/clearer sound.
        If I stuck with a tele pickup but wanted a little more treble than what the antiquity 55 has then what would you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          I have a Broadcaster and Antiquity 55 in my ash tele. Plays almost every kind of music I've needed in cover bands; country, rock, blues, pop, funk, etc.

My other tele has a Fender Twisted Tele set, which is like mix between a Strat and a bright vintage Les Paul sound. Good for more modern music. Less twangy but some twang is still there.
          The broadcaster sounds a bit too twangy. As far as the Twisted Tele set, I've heard mixed reviews about them -- and I already have a strat and LP.

Comment

Originally posted by ctbaggett View Post

The broadcaster sounds a bit too twangy.
            That's where your tone control comes in. But good luck. You've already ruled out a few.

Comment

If I stuck with a tele pickup but wanted a little more treble than what the antiquity 55 has then what would you suggest?
              Perhaps the Vintage Tele...?

Comment

Originally posted by skelt101 View Post

Perhaps the Vintage Tele...?
                That would be my suggestion, too.

Comment

Thanks, Everyone! I think I'll give the Vintage Tele and Jerry Donahue a try.

Comment

Let us know how this project turns out!

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Interesting description of the Twisted Tele. Before I bought my Tele, I borrowed a friend's MIA for about a month. It had a Twisted Tele set in it. The bridge pickup was much different than what I was expecting based on Telecaster lore - hotter, darker, warmer, more humbucker-like. Not by much but enough to change the character a bit. I can see how it'd make a useful set for a player trying to get tones from both sides of the aisle.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Since I have this thread going already I'll also ask about wiring. What do you think of this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H935FBE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                        Last edited by ctbaggett; 01-29-2021, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Let us know how this project turns out!
                          I put on the finishing touches today but I did a lot more than just replacing the pickups: new tuning machines, bridge/saddles, 4-way switch, CTS pots, 50's wiring, upgraded input jack cover, and of course, a good cleaning. In the end, I'm really happy with how things turned.The Vintage Tele pickup was exactly what I was hoping for: warm, articulate, and doesn't get lost in the mix. The Jerry Donahue is an undeniably bright pickup, but it has some beef in the mids/low-mids so that it isn't all treble. I was very surprised to find that the two in parallel do a better quack than my old Alnico Pro's, and when in series they have a thick sound almost like a humbucker in the neck. Before this project I had 2 pickups, 3 positions, and 1 good sound: position 1 with volume and tone maxed. Now I have 2 pickups, 4 positions, and I can get tons of great sounds out of the volume and tone controls.

I appreciate the help finding my pickups!

Comment

Wow, very cool! Now we just need to see a pic of this project!

Comment

Since I have this thread going already I'll also ask about wiring. What do you think of this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H935FBE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                              Save yourself $10-20 and buy the separate components...Oak-Grigsby sw, CTS or Alpha pots, Switchcraft jack, any good cap (=$15-25 with free shipping, depending on where you buy them).

JD pup is really good. Might also consider a tapped Quarter Pound for lots of versatility (my personal fav for a Tele bridge).
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X