banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't find a diagram for this anywhere, is this possible? (Series/Parallel fun)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find a diagram for this anywhere, is this possible? (Series/Parallel fun)

The electronics needed don't matter, I can do whatever layout I need to do (getting a custom pickguard).

I want to run 2 humbuckers with options for
    Bridge Series
    Bridge Parallel
    Neck Series
    Neck Parallel

And at least two other combinations of Bridge & Neck North & South coils in parallel, it doesn't matter that much how they're paired, just that they can be *in addition to* having just the bridge series/parallel and just the neck series/parallel.

So something hypthetically like a 5 way for:
    1. Bridge Series
    2. Bridge South + Neck South Parallel
    3. Bridge + Neck Parallel
    4. Bridge North + Neck North Parallel
    5. Neck Series

*In addtion to* mini DPDTs for Series/Parallel on positions 1. and 5.

This is confusing for me to try to explain so I hope what I'm looking for is clear. And if it's not possible that's fine, but I want to do it if it is.

Just use triple shots or the triple shot diagram with toggles and a regular 3 way switch and you'll get all those options.

The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I agree. Triple Shots are the most elegant way to do this.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Triple Shots for the win!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by offworld92 View Post
          The electronics needed don't matter, I can do whatever layout I need to do (getting a custom pickguard).

I want to run 2 humbuckers with options for
          Bridge Series
          Bridge Parallel
          Neck Series
          Neck Parallel

And at least two other combinations of Bridge & Neck North & South coils in parallel, it doesn't matter that much how they're paired, just that they can be *in addition to* having just the bridge series/parallel and just the neck series/parallel.

So something hypthetically like a 5 way for:
          1. Bridge Series
          2. Bridge South + Neck South Parallel
          3. Bridge + Neck Parallel
          4. Bridge North + Neck North Parallel
          5. Neck Series

*In addtion to* mini DPDTs for Series/Parallel on positions 1. and 5.

This is confusing for me to try to explain so I hope what I'm looking for is clear. And if it's not possible that's fine, but I want to do it if it is.
          Mincer has a wiring that does one through five sort of. I think it’s a flipped magnet with inner and outer coils on two and four so it’s humcancelling so you’re getting a south and a north from each pickup. Same coils you’re looking for just one pickups polarity is flipped. It can’t be hard to add two dpdt switches to make series/parallel for each humbucker.

Comment

An alternate to using SD Triple Shots is to use this diagram as a base to start from, located GuitarElectronics.com: https://guitarelectronics.com/2-humb...ume-1-tone-05/

You will need a 5 way superswitch (4 poles).

That diagram will give you the series options in Positions 1 and 5, different combinations of coilsplits in Positions 2 and 4, and each humbucker wired In Series with itself, connected in parallel to each other in Position 3, like you requested.

But then you tweak that diagram as follows to give you the options for each Humbucker Wired In Parallel with itself: you add 2 push-pull pots, one for each humbucker, wired like in the attached pic. The wires from each humbucker will go to its push-pull pot *first* , then from the push-pull pot to the 5 way superswitch, as shown in the pic. The drawback is that when you are in Parallel Mode of the Push-Pull for a given humbucker, the 5 way superswitch cannot change the mode of that humbucker, that humbucker remains In Parallel mode. But the 5 way superswitch can still turn that humbucker on and off like it is supposed to, e.g. Bridge pickup is on in Positions 1 through 4 but off in Position 5.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Sorry to come in a bit late on this .I am currently rewiring one of my guitars . I am using Artie's coil swap mod with Series/parallel options.. Besides the usual this gives the coil swap in parallel as well as series..Might be just what you are looking for. The guitar previously had this and it works well. I am rewiring because of push pull failure ..pots pulled right out..I am also putting in an OOP

option which I think works well if you have independent volumes... but that's probably too much information.

I am currently scratching my head wondering the best way to mark and drill holes to take the little pins on the new CTS push pull pots which stop them "turning" in the hole.Obviously care must be taken not drill all the way though top.. Previously I relied on a castellated washer and tension and am tempted to bend the bins flush and do same again. Helpful suggestions welcomed.

Edit

As an after thought I am adding my memory aid diagram. This is obviously not meant for publlication but does show basicly where the wires go.and might be of assistance . There is a slight confusion in that the guitar has a single (master) tone and the OOP pot is used as variable resistor to give a partial coil cut on the neck pup when iits in parralel mode. Hope this is not too confusing. Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring diagramme feb 2021.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	6056244
              Last edited by Gstring; 02-12-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring View Post
                Sorry to come in a bit late on this .I am currently rewiring one of my guitars . I am using Artie's coil swap mod with Series/parallel options.. Besides the usual this gives the coil swap in parallel as well as series..Might be just what you are looking for. The guitar previously had this and it works well. I am rewiring because of push pull failure ..pots pulled right out..I am also putting in an OOP

option which I think works well if you have independent volumes... but that's probably too much information.

I am currently scratching my head wondering the best way to mark and drill holes to take the little pins on the new CTS push pull pots which stop them "turning" in the hole.Obviously care must be taken not drill all the way though top.. Previously I relied on a castellated washer and tension and am tempted to bend the bins flush and do same again. Helpful suggestions welcomed.

Edit

As an after thought I am adding my memory aid diagram. This is obviously not meant for publlication but does show basicly where the wires go.and might be of assistance . There is a slight confusion in that the guitar has a single (master) tone and the OOP pot is used as variable resistor to give a partial coil cut on the neck pup when iits in parralel mode. Hope this is not too confusing. Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring diagramme feb 2021.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	6056244
                Hey G-String,

Welcome back.

I left a question for you about a week ago in your earlier post about your customized In Parallel wiring method.

Could you review my question there and provide feedback there? Thanks!

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Hi Jack,

Sorry about not responding to your earlier query on the other thread. . I am an infrequent visitor these days who rarely posts as the knowledge of many here vastly exceeds my own.. I did see your query but thought ARTIE was going to look at it after a cup of coffee. A more knowledgable person regarding wiring would be difficult to find. However I should have at least acknowledged your query.

To be honest many of my experiments with capacitors and resistors have been primarily for curiosity and experiment and in reality have limited practicality unless you are predominately a "clean" player. The differences are quite subtle and disappear quickly once effects and /or dirt are dialed in. I believe however that the partial coil cut in parralel is a viable alternative to straight series, straight coil cut and the usual partial coil cut of the type found in some PRS and other wirings. Of course different HBs give different results.and the PRS way has the advantage that you can partial cut both pups with one push pull.

I contributed to this thread as I thought the wiring option requested by the OP "cried out" for the coil swap mod although the inference is the OPs guitar is a 2 pot 5 way configuration. Nevertheless it should be possible using the principles of my rather scrappy wiring dagram to wire a push pull giving the coil swap to a 5 way super switch which is wired to give series/parallel options on both pups. Should it be wanted it should also be possible to use the remaining "available" push pull to give a coil cut or OOP option. Of course the OP might well prefer the Triple shot option favoured by the majority on this thread. Personally I find them a bit fiddly and difficult to remember quickly "how I got that sound" but that may just be that I have never used them extensively and only played with them on the guitars of others.

As regards getting more "quack" from a SSS Strat using resistors and caps in series with the pup, ,this is something I have never experimented with and am not sure if experimenting would produce results of value and there would probably be wiring issues unless it was accepted that the mod was permanently connected. I gather you are experimenting with this so don't let my comments put you off.

Over 12 years ago I carried out a lot of wiring experiments on my Strat .Several were too ambitious and complicated and prone to failure. Eventually I came up with using a subtle mini on-on-on 3 way DTDP toggle on the scratchplate which gave neck pup permanently on, ,standard 5way and pups in series options. This mod is now commonplace so obviously many minds think a like. I also liked a push pull gave OOP on the bridge which gave some good options ,especially OOP with pups in series .The final mod was a single master no load tone ;,the other tone knob now solely works the OOP push pull. I have used this wiring ever since and believe this is as complicated as you want to go on a non S2 switch model. I have helped others rewire their strats (and a few 3 pup Teles ) in this way and generally most have been happy with the result.

Of course for the best sound its a good amp and practice practice and even more practice at least some of which should be with others otherwise it' difficult to have the discipline to play songs from start to finish and keep tight on the beat. At 76 I no longer have the enthusiasm ,stamina or ability to gig or even jam but karaoke tracks from You Tube give me lots of fun.

Sorry if I have rambled on a bit
                  Last edited by Gstring; 02-13-2021, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring View Post
                    I did see your query but thought ARTIE was going to look at it after a cup of coffee.
                    Sorry about that. My "main" computer, with my graphics software, took a lightning hit. I've got to replace it and try to get all my software, (for everything) reloaded. Super PITA.

I shoulda had it backed up.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Sorry about that. My "main" computer, with my graphics software, took a lightning hit. I've got to replace it and try to get all my software, (for everything) reloaded. Super PITA.

I shoulda had it backed up.
                      Wow, that stinks, sorry to hear that Artie.

BTW, there is some confusion about "my ask" in that other post. I wasn't asking for you to look at any question that I had posed. Instead, it was a reference to the OP's original request for feedback and Free Frog did end up providing the OP some great technical insights on that.

Comment

Yup. I saw that. Good team effort around here. We usually get people down the right path.

Comment

Working...
                        X