Noiseless Neck P90 Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noiseless Neck P90 Needed

Good day all, & good health,, I'ma needing a Noiseless P90, & being that it's for my rarely used neck position, it may not seem like such a priority for quality, but perhaps all the more for it to be cool when it is used?!? In the bridge is a stock wind Fralin noiseless 90, & a beast of a Dimarzio SDS1 in the middle, & a blender setup,,, So, w/o breaking the piggy bank like I did for the bridge pup, what's worth looking at? The first thing that catches my eye is a Kent Armstrong for around $60,, but everything else seems to be pushing that $100 mark... Hum-free, neck, P90 ,,, Armstrong's any good?
    Thanks in advance for the help~
    Be safe, stay well Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200601-024536_Gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.5 KB ID:	6055326
    Last edited by zozoe; 02-09-2021, 11:27 AM.

If money is an object, The GFS Dream 90 is a nice pup. I've got a pair in an Iceman, and it's a keeper.

Comment

dream 90 is bucker size and not noiseless right?

not sure about noiseless p90s, dont have much experience with them other than fralin and duncan

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        dream 90 is bucker size and not noiseless right?
        Oops. You're right. Forgot about the noiseless part.

Comment

No personal experience, but I hear good things about the MojoTone. Not as expensive as Fralin, but still north of $100. How much can the piggy bank withstand?
          Click here for current lead times Vintage P-90's from the 50's were very special because of their vocal and dynamic qualities, with bold highs that breathe with clarity. The only problem was the 60-cycle hum and for today's player, 60-cycle hum can be unbearable at times. Mojotone's patent applied for '56 Quiet Coil hum-cancelling P-90 delivers all of that vintage goodness of a coveted 1956 P-90 without ever compromising tone or feel.Our approach was very simple, to make a P-90 pickup that sounds like a real vintage P-90 without the hum. ‘56 “Quiet Coil™” P-90 pickups are passive and only use the parts and materials found in original vintage ‘56 P-90 pickups. Vintage spec 42 gauge coil wire, lower Gauss Alnico magnets, adjustable polepieces, and vintage braided leads. No PC boards, batteries, stacked coils, or anything else associated with other hum-canceling pickups were used in our design. The result is simply the most pure and authentic P-90 tone possible, with absolutely no loss of true single coil P-90 tone. Cranked, they are big and bold with a classic grind that pulsates with the amplifier like a sophisticated sounding P-90. Roll back the volume to get a sweet clean tone of a vintage P-90 without losing clarity or treble.Quiet Coil Design Features:Consistent scatterwound coils for that handwound tone, sensitivity, and clarity.Vintage formulated Alnico magnet cores with lower Gauss levels like an aged vintage P-90 pickup.Vintage braided leads for easy push-back soldering.No routing modifications are required to fit shallow vintage routs like the taller stacked hum-cancelling designs.Less parts are used to build the Quiet Coils compared to other designs. Like a vintage P-90 pickup, they are SIMPLE!

Comment

I have a pair of the noiseless Kent Armstrongs in a Hagstrom and they're pretty darn good.
            A tad more polite than regular P90s; they still bite but with a little less grunt in the low mids.
            Still, they're fat & hum-free and definitely still have the singlecoil character.

In bridge position I miss the extra bit of raunch but for the neck IMO these are a great option.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thnx,, it's not an Uber high output pup & the specs dictate? The Bridge is a Custom wind Fralin,, about 9k..

Comment

GFS has them (never tried them but I have their goldfoil and lipstick pickups and they're ok). So does Dimarzio. Virtual P-90 comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
                  Thnx,, it's not an Uber high output pup & the specs dictate? The Bridge is a Custom wind Fralin,, about 9k..
                  No, vintage output. Lighter lows make their output seem perhaps a tad lower than standard P90s.
                  The DCR is deceptively high because these have two coils in series for hum canceling.*
                  Ought to balance just fine with a 9K bridge P90.

*That means you could also use a switch for series/parallel wiring if you wanted to have a cleaner, lower output option on tap too.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks folks, that now understood 19.1k makes more sense now, & is nothing to seek shelter over?!
                    Stay safe & be well~

Comment

I'd go with a Fralin neck wind to match with the bridge pickup you have and enjoy.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I believe you're right, Alex!!
                        thanks all~
                        Stay safe & be well~

Comment

I don't want or need hot & mean,, just something with a cool clean personality, & that will perhaps split well with my bridge & middle.
                          Thnx all~

Comment

Working...
                          X