Duncan distortion neck magnet swap in bridge position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan distortion neck magnet swap in bridge position

Just wondering if anyone swapped the magnet in the distortion neck and tried it in the bridge position. I’m thinking about putting a rough cast alnico 5 in it and putting it in the bridge spot. What are your guys thoughts guys?

I'd think you would have something sort of like a 12k JB-ish pup. Can't think what rough vs smooth would do. I'm talking smooth, so not sure.

Never did that though. I guess it would be like a less highs/more mids Demon sort of tone maybe?

The best thing in these situations is to go do it and report back. Like I said - never heard of this specific thing. I think I'd remember that....
    Last edited by Aceman; 02-10-2021, 07:12 AM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The Distortion Neck was originally a bridge pickup (the SH-7 Seymourizer). I would try it in stock form first!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
        The Distortion Neck was originally a bridge pickup (the SH-7 Seymourizer). I would try it in stock form first!
        I did not know that!

Comment

As mentioned, I'd try the neck pickup first in the bridge. The Duncan Distortion has a thick ceramic magnet and 2 spacers that you will have to change out if you switched magnets. You will need spacers the thickness of the A5 to take up the extra space and everything will fit properly.
          Last edited by Tone Mechanic; 02-10-2021, 10:40 AM.
          www.guitarforce-pickups.com

Comment

^ Ducan uses regular spacers turned on their side with the double thick ceramic.

The DDn is a fantastic bridge pup. Sounds like the DD but less compressed. And all pickups sound better with alnico instead of ceramic. Absolutely do it. I don't care for
            RC mags, but if you like them then the result will probably be good.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I did not know that!
              Wait...have you ever tried an SH-7/SH-6n in the bridge?

If not, then I'm blown away! Seems right up your alley, to be honest!

Comment

With these things I like to change one thing at a time so I can isolate the difference that the change is making. So if I've never put the neck DD in the bridge, I'd do that first... spend some time adjusting, playing, adjusting, leaving it alone, etc... then do the magnet swap at a later date if I'm still curious and repeat the process of playing/adjusting/leaving.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                  With these things I like to change one thing at a time so I can isolate the difference that the change is making. So if I've never put the neck DD in the bridge, I'd do that first.
                  That would be my approach, as well. It's worth seeing how the SH-6n works in the bridge as Seymour designed it. It's actually one of his earliest designs, circa 1980!

Comment

Thanks everyone. I’ve heard of the Seymourizer and was aware that it became the distortion, but I wasn’t aware that it was actually originally designed as a bridge pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Wait...have you ever tried an SH-7/SH-6n in the bridge?

If not, then I'm blown away! Seems right up your alley, to be honest!
                      To be honest - I find the 59/Custom a bit mild for the bridge....so no, I have not.

Comment

SH-6n = underwound SH-5

Comment

SH-6n = underwound SH-6
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Nope Chicken is right. Underwound SH-5 with a thicker ceramic magnet. Clearer and louder as SH-5, less compressed than a SH-6b
                            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

The DDn is voiced like the DD, so how is it a Custom?
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X