No announcement yet.

Duncan distortion neck magnet swap in bridge position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't believe the wire gauge has ever been officially confirmed. There was some intense speculation that it was most likely 43.

43 = underwound Custom
    44 = underwound Distortion

Comment

That's not logical to assume a master pickup builder can't scale down 1 model of pickup from 44 to 43 without it automatically making the parent pickup an arbitrarily chosen pickup built with 43.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          That's not logical to assume a master pickup builder can't scale down 1 model of pickup from 44 to 43 without it automatically making the parent pickup an arbitrarily chosen pickup built with 43.
          huh?

Comment

The term “underwound” would assume that you have a pickup, then you take turns away from that pickup. Like with PAFs, the old trope is that it was overwound if they left the machine engaged too long while chatting with their neighbor, and underwound if they stopped it early for a coffee break.

So from a pickup maker’s perspective you wouldn’t refer to any coil that has a different wire gauge as an underwound or overwound version of it.

Like at 10k DCR the Screamin Demon isn’t an overwound PAF or Jazz coil, because those are 42AWG. The Demon is 43, which has been confirmed by other sources but also that answer is in plain sight. The Demon coils are skinny when compared to a Jazz. So a higher DCR + a smaller coil means smaller wire diameter. That’s basic physics.

So as we look at the Seymourizer, based on the size of the coils and the DCR, you’d probably notice it’s a little fatter than the Demon, and a little skinnier than the Custom. But if it were 44 like the JB/Distortion/Invader then it would be even skinnier than that.

I’ve always liked the idea of the Seymourizer/Distortion Neck as a moderate bridge pickup, with A5, rough cast, even A2. I did all that experimenting while I was at Duncan. My favorites for it are Alnico 4 & 6 actually.

Comment

hmm... a2 sh6n in the bridge might be really nice

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                huh?
                What don't you get? Just because the DDn uses 43 doesn't mean it's an underwound Custom and not a scaled DD.
                I bought them for you

Comment

frank just covered why are you arent correct clint

Comment

As for underwound, I don't think it's truly applicable in this case since the SH-7 was originally intended as a bridge pickup.
                    It wasn't necessarily derived from the Distortion, just paired with it after the fact.

I put double thick A8s into a Distortion set I've got in a Les Paul Custom. It mellowed the harshness a bit and I like to think it might've given them a bouncier feel, though that might just be my expectations. They're still loud.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      frank just covered why are you arent correct clint
                      The semantics of a pickup can only be overwound or underwound if it uses the same gauge wire doesn't prove the DDn is a different model than the one it is designed around. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. By your resoning, if I get a 9k JB from the custom shop, it's an overwound Jazz? Lol!
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 02-11-2021, 03:13 PM.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

you cannot get a 9k jb, anything 9k isnt a jb at all. you could have a 9k overwound jazz but just cause a pup is 9k doesnt mean its an overwound jazz. could be an overwound 59 or underwound demon or something with a different wire and wind.

as frank covered, the term overwound or underwound comes from more or less turns of wire on a pup compared to spec. changing the wire changes the pup.

Comment

Jeremy, I HAVE calibrated sets of pickups made with different wire gauges and they clearly sound the same and are the same pickup. What you're suggesting is an insult to Seymour, that he can't voice 2 pickups alike if their wire gauges are different. That's just retarded.

I ordered a neck 4% overwind and bridge 8% overwind on my Fralin mini humbucker set and the neck came with 42 and the bridge came with 43. They sound the same and are most certainly the same model.
                          Last edited by Clint 55; 02-11-2021, 03:37 PM.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

im not going to argue this with you. can you make a pup with #43 wire that sounds like pup X that is wound with #44 wire? maybe. that doesnt make it pup X. im not insulting seymour or any other winder with what ive said and you insinuating that is silly.

Comment

How was the original Seymourizer advertised? I remember seeing it mentioned in ads, but I don't remember the description.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The DDn is voiced like the DD, so how is it a Custom?
                                Right. The wind is completely different, the sh6n has a much more mid focused wind and EQ than a custom. It's more like an underwound sh6 or sh4

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X