No announcement yet.

Duncan distortion neck magnet swap in bridge position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you add turns, the resonant peak goes lower. So the “spike” frequency gets lower and all of the treble content above that point is more severely attenuated. When this happens, since the relationship *between* the treble, high mids, and mids is shifting, everything changes, and the distortion characteristics make it more pronounced.

Like when I’m voicing pickups for Fluence, I might have an artist say they need a little bit more attack in the upper mids, but ultimately what that might mean is that I am contouring a little bit way down in the high bass area so that those upper mids are free to be dominant. So it’s not always so cut and dry where the changes are coming from that impact what we hear and feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Was 'The Mag' a Stag Mag or a Stag Mag without the staggered magnets?
      flat and with a5 rods

Comment

Hey Frank...side note: Were you involved in the voicing of Wolf Hoffman's Fluence pickups?

Comment

I see. Well if things are unpredictable, what's the point in trying to make an objective statement that the DDn is an underwound Custom if they sound differently, and Duncan advertises the DDn as being designed specifically for the bridge model?
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Was 'The Mag' a Stag Mag or a Stag Mag without the staggered magnets?
            A Stag Mag without the staggered magnets.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
              When you add turns, the resonant peak goes lower. So the “spike” frequency gets lower and all of the treble content above that point is more severely attenuated. When this happens, since the relationship *between* the treble, high mids, and mids is shifting, everything changes, and the distortion characteristics make it more pronounced.

Like when I’m voicing pickups for Fluence, I might have an artist say they need a little bit more attack in the upper mids, but ultimately what that might mean is that I am contouring a little bit way down in the high bass area so that those upper mids are free to be dominant. So it’s not always so cut and dry where the changes are coming from that impact what we hear and feel.
              Frank - thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on this post! I always appreciate hearing from folks in the industry.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Clint, send Frank an Apple. You got schooled.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don't think so.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Hmm, I wonder why that model didn't survive, but the staggered version did.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I was curious about that also.

It's only my suspicion, but in that topic, Jack_TriPpEr notes that the Stag Mag pole pieces are adjustable. Maybe the pole pieces can be adjusted all the way down to flat?

If not, my other thought was the split Mag didn't evoke the Stratocaster tone as much as the split Stag Mag for the majority of players. So the Stag Mag won out. I'm confident the Custom Shop could always make The Mag if needed.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I keep getting 403 errors trying to edit my previous post.

​​​​​​I just checked the Shop Floor Custom page and Magnet Stagger, flat/staggered/lefty, options are available on Strat and Tele pups as SFC's. If they would also apply that to the Stag Mag, one wouldn't even have to go full Custom Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          I see. Well if things are unpredictable, what's the point in trying to make an objective statement that the DDn is an underwound Custom if they sound differently, and Duncan advertises the DDn as being designed specifically for the bridge model?
                          How it’s advertised doesn’t tell the origin story. It’s the Seymourizer II, (because they come stock with 4-conductor) and some of the people here are coming to this discussion with that historical perspective.

As for how it’s referred to, the Demon is a very different pickup than the Custom 5, even if both had screws & slug construction. So no one is saying the Demon is just an underwound C5. But hypothetically, let’s say a Demon coil has X winds, let’s say a Custom coil has X plus a couple thousand more turns. And now let’s say the Seymourizer has X plus a thousand more turns. Of course these are just made up numbers but my point is, without disclosing any secrets these guys in this thread aren’t out of line when they say if you peeled some turns off a Custom coil you’d arrive at a DDn coil, and if you kept going you’d arrive at a Demon coil.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            I don't think so.
                            Denial <= You are here
                            Anger
                            Bargaining
                            Depression
                            Acceptance <= This is where you learn something and can respond in an appropriate and meaningful way to the information you have just acquired

And Frank would prefer a gift card to Arby's so he could grab a Jamocha shake.
                            Last edited by Aceman; 02-13-2021, 03:33 PM.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

What information? You guys are going with full disregard for any info at all.

- So the DDn was originally the Seymourizer?
                              Yeah, but it uses 43 so it's really an underwound Custom.
                              - Oh, but it sounds more like the DD bridge.
                              Doesn't matter, it uses 43 so it's an underwound Custom.
                              - Oh, isn't it the case if there are huge differences in eq it means it's a different model/wind?
                              No, cuz it uses 43 so it's an identical wind. See when you overwind something the resonant peak shifts down and you get more mids.
                              - Oh, I see so more wire equals more mids, is that why the DDn which is wound lighter has a huge mid spike while the Custom wind has none?
                              Yep, wound with 43.
                              - But surely there must be other factors in the wind besides the wire gauge, are the Black Winter neck, and Jason Becker really underwound Customs as well?
                              The DDn has 43 so it's a Custom.
                              - Oh, other pickup makers use 43 to make humbuckers, are they really the Custom wind as well?
                              DDn uses 43 so it's a Custom.
                              - So the DDn was originally its own design and at present, the builder himself describes the DDn as being specifically designed for the bridge. Doesn't that mean anything?
                              Nope, what Duncan says doesn't matter. DDn has 43 so it's by definition a Custom.
                              - I see. Thanks for that great info there!
                              Last edited by Clint 55; 02-13-2021, 04:23 PM.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Tell us how you really feel.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X