Duncan distortion neck magnet swap in bridge position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    What information? You guys are going full retard with full disregard for any info at all.

- So the DDn was originally the Seymourizer?
    Yeah, but it uses 43 so it's really an underwound Custom.
    - Oh, but it sounds more like the DD bridge.
    Doesn't matter, it uses 43 so it's an underwound Custom.
    - Oh, isn't it the case if there are huge differences in eq it means it's a different model/wind?
    No, cuz it uses 43 so it's an identical wind. See when you overwind something the resonant peak shifts down and you get more mids.
    - Oh, I see so more wire equals more mids, is that why the DDn which is wound lighter has a huge mid spike while the Custom wind has none?
    Yep, wound with 43.
    - But surely there must be other factors in the wind besides the wire gauge, are the Black Winter neck, and Jason Becker really underwound Customs as well?
    The DDn has 43 so it's a Custom.
    - Oh, other pickup makers use 43 to make humbuckers, are they really the Custom wind as well?
    DDn uses 43 so it's a Custom.
    - So the DDn was originally its own design and at present, the builder himself describes the DDn as being specifically designed for the bridge. Doesn't that mean anything?
    Nope, what Duncan says doesn't matter. DDn has 43 so it's by definition a Custom.
    - I see. Thanks for that great info there!

Full retard.
    If I were a mod, I'd give you a little break from the forum

Comment

Reading this thread I learned some things. I have found the 10-12k range to be my go to bridge. Big fan of the Pegasus and PB. Naturally, I keep looking at this and wonder what it would be like with A2, A5 variations, A8, and A6. I have yet to put A6 in anything but have a few sets. I have yet to swap a thick magnet....where do you get the spacers? Come to think of it... I mostly slide magnets in and out and not sure I know what a spacer is lol

Comment

the spacers in a paf were wood. now days there are plastic ones too. you can also get spacer sized ceramic bar magnets. the link below has an exploded view of a bucker so you can see the parts and how they fit together.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          the spacers in a paf were wood. now days there are plastic ones too. you can also get spacer sized ceramic bar magnets. the link below has an exploded view of a bucker so you can see the parts and how they fit together.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...er-pickup-kit/
          Thank you for that. Assume then you would want to get a wooden or plastic spacer and put them under the regular thickness magnet to allow the magnet to be closer to the bobbins?

Comment

Originally posted by krovatron View Post

Thank you for that. Assume then you would want to get a wooden or plastic spacer and put them under the regular thickness magnet to allow the magnet to be closer to the bobbins?
            The spacers are rectangular in cross-section. For the regular thickness magnets in most humbuckers, they sit on their wider side.
            For double thickness magnets (as in the DDn), they stand on their narrower side to make extra space.
            So if putting a regular-sized magnet in the DDn, all you'd have to do is turn them to sit flat.

PS: If I were going to put an A5 into a DDn, I'd probably use a double thick one anyway.
            Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 10-17-2022, 04:23 PM.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
            X