No announcement yet.

"Remembering EVH" & Creation of the Axis Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all very old news and a nice read Larry Dimarzio did a nice job on this article remembering Edward....

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      It's well established that the Tone Zone/Air Zone are close cousins, but the Axis pickups are simply more versatile. I've enjoyed my de-aired AT-1, which DiMarzio stated was closest to the Axis bridge for a time, but it still isn't the same.
      I think you also have to remove the virtual vintage slugs as well. Then it should be closer. Regardless, the AT-1 has a little bit fewer winds. De-airing and removing the VV slugs make it the closest production model out there.

Comment

Originally posted by shred4Him View Post

I think you also have to remove the virtual vintage slugs as well. Then it should be closer. Regardless, the AT-1 has a little bit fewer winds. De-airing and removing the VV slugs make it the closest production model out there.
        I've definitely thought about this. I'd have to drill them out, as they are blank on the bottom. Probably will in the very near future, just to try it out.

On the other hand, those slugs effectively increase the inductance 3-4%, which may be similar to the effect of adding additional winds to match the Axis bridge. I really like the de-aired AT-1 as an all-around rock pickup. It definitely touches on many of the same points I like about the Axis
        Last edited by Masta' C; 02-12-2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I've definitely thought about this. I'd have to drill them out, as they are blank on the bottom. Probably will in the very near future, just to try it out.

On the other hand, those slugs effectively increase the inductance 3-4%, which may be similar to the effect of adding additional winds to match the Axis bridge. I really like the de-aired AT-1 as an all-around rock pickup. It definitely touches on many of the same points I like about the Axis
          AT-1 being a JB inspired pickup with a thicker bottom and tamed high mid goes along well with DiMarzio's story.

Comment

Dimarzio's website goes back and forth on what production model is closest to the Axis bridge (TZ, then AT1, now TZ again). I don't know what's closest spec/construction wise, but the AT-1 does a lot more of the things I like about the Axis bridge than the Tone Zone does. It's not identical, but it has a similar middy growl that i really like.
            Quality riffs in about a minute...
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
              Dimarzio's website goes back and forth on what production model is closest to the Axis bridge (TZ, then AT1, now TZ again). I don't know what's closest spec/construction wise, but the AT-1 does a lot more of the things I like about the Axis bridge than the Tone Zone does. It's not identical, but it has a similar middy growl that i really like.
              Yup!

Superpete, have you tried it de-aired, by chance? I like it even better that way!

Comment

Yup!

Superpete, have you tried it de-aired, by chance? I like it even better that way!
                i haven't! i have thought about it though, everything i've read makes it seems like it'll give me more of what i like. i've only been using an AT1 for a few months now, havent played around too much with it.

Comment

I think that the closest thing that I can get to that is my Ibanez RG with an Alternative 8 in the bridge wired in parallel with itself.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah, nice read.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    EVH always struck me as someone who wasn't particular about things as he got older. I think he could make anything work for him, and what he got attached to later in life had little to do with what he started out liking (and he didn't care about that inconsistency).
                    well most folks tend to use less gain when they get older. he seems to have done the opposite.
                    one reason of course it was not possible back in the 70s/early 80s.

well i guess most folks don‘t really care about the stuff after 1984 anyway...

Comment

i always thought he was just as much, if not more, particular about his gear as he got older. he just didn't care about achieving the classic brown sound.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                        yeah, nice read.

well most folks tend to use less gain when they get older. he seems to have done the opposite.
                        one reason of course it was not possible back in the 70s/early 80s.

well i guess most folks don‘t really care about the stuff after 1984 anyway...

Tony Iommi is the same way...he uses a ton of gain now...much more than in classic Sabbath. My thought is that with EVH, he could make anything work for him. He probably didn't need to experiment as much later in his career because people willingly made stuff for him, which wasn't the case when he was younger.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Iommi solo album with all the guests on it has some nice tones.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            My thought is that with EVH, he could make anything work for him. He probably didn't need to experiment as much later in his career because people willingly made stuff for him, which wasn't the case when he was younger.
                            yeah i guess there's 2 ways to look at it...like, he went from Music Man guitars/Peavey amps, to Peavey all around, to starting the EVH line of guitars and 5150 line of amps through Fender. Was it a tireless pursuit of the perfect tone, or was he just looking for whoever was willing to make him the best deal, as he could make the gear work for him because he was Eddie?

i could see it both ways, as i think the amps got better as he went on, but the guitars were never as good as the EBMM EVH models.

Comment

Real simple Edwards early sound was Marshall no peavey or fender EVH will be a Marshall same with his guitars early guitar sounds were Ibanez destroyer and ash body maple neck frankenstein strat.So if you want his early sound then thats it.
                              Last edited by pittbull; 02-14-2021, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post

yeah i guess there's 2 ways to look at it...like, he went from Music Man guitars/Peavey amps, to Peavey all around, to starting the EVH line of guitars and 5150 line of amps through Fender. Was it a tireless pursuit of the perfect tone, or was he just looking for whoever was willing to make him the best deal, as he could make the gear work for him because he was Eddie?

i could see it both ways, as i think the amps got better as he went on, but the guitars were never as good as the EBMM EVH models.
                                I agree- the EBMM were the best guitars. I just think that after VH wasn't a household name anymore, he know what worked for him, and simply had other priorities.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X