Something about the overwound A-2's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    ,,,,,,,,, the duncan El Diablo has always had my interest. It might well have the tightest lows of any a2 powered model.
    I love my El Diablo, but it never registered in my mind that it was A2, 'til reading this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I love my El Diablo, but it never registered in my mind that it was A2, 'til reading this thread.
      When the Concept Set was announced, I was surprised to learn that the original(?) JB was A2.

Now I'm realizing that there's a gap in my SD lineup. I don't have an overwound A2 installed or even have one on the parts shelf. I should probably correct this.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

When the Concept Set was announced, I was surprised to learn that the original(?) JB was A2.

Now I'm realizing that there's a gap in my SD lineup. I don't have an overwound A2 installed or even have one on the parts shelf. I should probably correct this.
        The El Diablo would be a great place to start. Don't let the specs fool you. It does a very sweet, warm, and clean tone.

Comment

The pickup in Frankenstien was a DiMarzio Super Distortion. After he cut the chunk out of his Destroyer he put a Super Distortion in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by StvnMikel View Post
            The pickup in Frankenstien was a DiMarzio Super Distortion. After he cut the chunk out of his Destroyer he put a Super Distortion in the bridge.
            Cool! I, and I am confident many more, will sleep much better at night now that truth is known.
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Cool! I, and I am confident many more, will sleep much better at night now that truth is known.
              I'm glad I could bring you peace of mind lol Sleep well

Comment

Take a 59B and put a A8 in it , instant VH I & II

Comment

Was the same here fixed that today when i installed a PG set in my Purple hardtail Carvin DC 127. Now have a pretty diverse set of tonal tools on hand since doing some real swapping around of pickups over the last couple months.

Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Yeah, I have a 'poor mans' concept set: an old JB with an A2 and a 35th anniversary Jazz neck. Great rock combo. My JB/A2 sounds like a LOUD Whole Lotta Humbucker.

It's surprising all the overwound A2s from Duncan I have sound very different from each other. '78 Model, Pearly Gates, Slash, JB/A2, Custom Custom. I stopped going by the mag and wire recipe and just started buying and trying, relying on comments from other owners about how they sound to steer me to the next one. Kind of don't care what the mag is anymore - just care about what the next pickup will do to the EQ, more treble?, more mids? tight bass? kerrang vs chugga? detail with chords? thick solos? chimy cleans etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X