Five Two pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Two pickup

Hi SD friends, Just upgraded my HSS Strat with a 59 Custom, Five Two middle and Classic Stack neck, Love the great sound. One issue i see is the Five Two middle position i notice a significant volume difference from the G string too the B string. How can i adjust this. The pole heights are significantly different. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	6057229

The vintage stagger on the Five Two does not work well with modern strings and flatter fingerboards. There is no safe cure.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I have this same set, but it isn't wired to get me the middle pickup alone...in the middle position of the switch, I have the top coil of the stack and one coil of the bridge pickup. I used a MegaSwitch to do this.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ok Mincer can you explain what a Megaswitch is and how i can get my hands on one. ty

Comment

It is a special Schaller switch, read about them here. They allow combinations not possible with a regular 5 way. Like I said, the one I use relies on a rw/rp neck pickup, and doesn't allow the middle pickup by itself (a sound I never use myself). I wrote about this wiring scheme (with these exact pickups) here.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You can turn the pickup around. This puts the volume dip on the A string and it balances out more there because it's in the bassy area.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

I've never used the Five-Two. But turning the Five-Two would eliminate it's design goal of having the A5 magnets under the low strings and A2 magnets under the high strings. I'm not asserting that would be a negative as there are A5 and A2 Strat pickups. Only my observation.
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
              X