banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OEM Stock '59 Model SH-1B - No retail packaging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Stock '59 Model SH-1B - No retail packaging?

What is this exactly? I saw a '59 Model on Reverb advertised as 'BRAND NEW - OEM Stock - No retail packaging' from a music shop in Carrollton, TX. Anyone know what this is? Can I trust that it's a genuine Seymour Duncan since it's coming from a known guitar shop/music store? Is it normal for shops to sell them like this? Thanks.
    JC
    -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
    -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
    -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
    -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
    -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
    -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Is it The Tone Shop? If so, it'll be legit. They do swaps and repairs all the time so most likely they swapped pickups out for someone who didn't care to keep the stock pickups so they sell them like that. I almost snagged a pair of Gibson Soap Bars from them that way but didn't have the cash handy.

Comment

In my experience, Sweetone out of Carollton, TX sells genuine SD products.

The OEM pickups they occasionally list on their Reverb store are part of special orders purchased from SD for use in manufacturing guitars. They are sold to the builder at a slight discount because they do not include any traditional retail packaging, but there is no difference in the quality of OEM vs retail.

The bonus is that extra stock is generally sold for less than retail and sometimes they have unique runs of products that would typically carry a "Shop Floor Custom" upcharge for far less.

If you see an item you like and the option to send them an offer is available on the listing, you might be surprised what you can get them for!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
        In my experience, Sweetone out of Carollton, TX sells genuine SD products.

The OEM pickups they occasionally list on their Reverb store are part of special orders purchased from SD for use in manufacturing guitars. They are sold to the builder at a slight discount because they do not include any traditional retail packaging, but there is no difference in the quality of OEM vs retail.

The bonus is that extra stock is generally sold for less than retail and sometimes they have unique runs of products that would typically carry a "Shop Floor Custom" upcharge for far less.

If you see an item you like and the option to send them an offer is available on the listing, you might be surprised what you can get them for!
        Awesome. Thank you! I just picked up a BRAND NEW SH-1B 1C w/ nickel silver cover from Sweetone for $59 with my $10 off coupon! SCORE! What's even cooler is that, had I not had that coupon, they have a referral link to one at their website so you get an instant $10 off of your purchase of $50+ if you're making a new Reverb account.

I'm not sure why that didn't click in my head after browsing their website. I knew they manufactured their own guitars so what you're saying only makes logical sense when you consider that part. Thanks again!
        Last edited by Wound_Up; 02-15-2021, 08:30 PM.
        JC
        -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
        -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
        -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
        -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
        -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
        -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Working...
        X