banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moderate output bridge humbucker that won't greatly overpower a Seth Lover neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderate output bridge humbucker that won't greatly overpower a Seth Lover neck?

So I've got a really nice partscaster that I built based around the Music Man Albert Lee; it's a 25.5 scale length strat-ish guitar, mahogany body, wenge neck with ebony fretboard, and Hipshot tremolo. In the neck I have a Seth Lover with an A4 magnet and it sounds absolutely great, but I've been struggling with finding a bridge pickup that I like to go with it.

I tried the SL bridge with different magnets and found it too honkey and thin, and then I tried a Vineham pickups Brown Noser (9k, potted, A2 magnet) and liked it slightly better, put an A8 mag in it and liked it slightly better yet... But it's still thinner and a little more nasally than I'd like. I think I want a slightly higher output humbucker, something fatter, but won't overpower the Seth Lover too badly

I play classic rock through modern alternative and post rock, and some fingerstyle jazzy stuff (but that would be on the neck pickup). What bridge bucker would you recommend? I've been looking at the Bare Knuckle Abraxas, or maybe Duncan Saturday Nights, not sure what others.
    Last edited by ragamuffin; 02-17-2021, 09:06 AM.

Check out Kolev Pickups Kris Kolev is a excellent pickup builder and will take the time with you,explain to him what your looking for

Comment

Have you considered a Saturday Night Special, or Whole Lotta Humbucker? Custom Custom or Custom 5 work well with Seth also.

Comment

The Whole Lotta Humbucker sounds like the right one to me. It doesn't have that honky Seth sound (which I really like). The WLH is really like a more powerful PAF with maybe more high end in there.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

A bridge pickup with an A4 with a DCR in the realm of a P.A.F. might do the job.
          www.guitarforce-pickups.com

Comment

Whole Lotta might work. I would think a Perpetual Burn or a Saturday Night Special bridge might be a better match for the Seth though. The Perpet is a pretty big sounding smooth pickup. Dont let the name scare you it one of my favorite humbuckers to run with a pair of singles split or full on. Here is a clip in my 2017 Kiesel DC at first split with the AP 11 in the middle then full bucker by itself in the end.

Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Same rig same guitar this is split with the AP 11 clean.

Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

In the vintage-hot-output category, there's also the Screamin Demon.
                Good in Stratlike types, and definitely wouldn't overpower a Seth at the neck.

A little more modern sounding than a PAF. Does well with gain, can still cop vintagey tones.
                It has mids - certainly not scooped. Still, it's never seemed honky the way Seths or Ants can be.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Have you considered the regular ceramic Custom?
                  "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Definitely the Demon!
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I agree with GuitarDoc. Demon should fit the bill.

Comment

the demon always sounds weak and thin to me in the bridge

Comment

Thanks guys! Hmm, sounds like I've got a lot of options

Comment

There is usually more than one right answer.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So, to my wallet's disdain I ended up going with my initial feeling and ordered a Bare Knuckle Abraxas. It's a 14k, 43awg, A4 humbucker and it sounds pretty great in this guitar! It's clear and fairly tight with a pretty balanced eq. Output is slightly higher than the SL A4 neck pickup, but not a lot. It has a just little bit of a nasal quality to it, but much less than the other pickups I've tried, and I think that may just be the nature of this guitar.

I'm sure one of the Duncan options would have served me just as well, but I'm very happy with the new pickup.

Comment

Working...
                              X