banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moderate output bridge humbucker that won't greatly overpower a Seth Lover neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glad you found something that works for you

Comment

Update: after the initial honeymoon period with the Abraxas I decided that while it liked it better than previous pickups, I still wasn't totallyhappy with it. I just wasn't hearing what I wanted to hear. It still had that nasal quality, not enough bass, and I decided that I might want to go a little hotter too. I'm sure it would be great in some guitar, but in my guitar it's just too midsy without enough thump.

So, I decided to try a Custom 5: THIS is what I wanted! It's fat, punchy, and CLEAR. No honk! Woot! Also it doesn't overpower my Seth Lover A4 neck too much, though the tone is markedly different. With a little drive it's instant Chon type tones in this guitar, which I didn't know I wanted, but works out perfectly. It's been in there for a week now and I don't think that's going to change.

Purely for the sake of tinkering I may experiment with a UOA5 or A4 magnet at some point.

Comment

That makes sense. I associate "honk" with midrange, and the C5 is definitely scooped. Sounds good.

Comment

So today I decided to tinker and tried out A4 and UOA5, both rough cast

A4 was just thin, flat and kind of bland. I took it out pretty fast. Funny being that I really the A4 in my neck pickup.

UOA5 was nice; slightly less tight in the bass and more midsy than the stock A5, kind of "bouncy", and really rich in harmonics. It sounds great and a little more "rock n' roll" than the stock.

I liked the U0A5 quite a bit but I think the regular A5 is going back in. It just fits better for the sound that I want out of this guitar.

Does rough cast vs. polished make much of a difference? I'd like to try a rough cast A5 but I don't have one on hand.

Comment

Something else that might make a difference is leaving the magnets in for a week, or use a tape head demagnetizer on the metal parts in between having the magnets in. All the other metal parts could exhibit residual fields from the previous magnet. I swapped a UOA5 bridge / A4 neck in a set of 59s and it sounded different the first hour as opposed to days later. I don't know how much time it actually takes, but there was a difference between the first moments it was swapped and days later.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              Something else that might make a difference is leaving the magnets in for a week, or use a tape head demagnetizer on the metal parts in between having the magnets in. All the other metal parts could exhibit residual fields from the previous magnet. I swapped a UOA5 bridge / A4 neck in a set of 59s and it sounded different the first hour as opposed to days later. I don't know how much time it actually takes, but there was a difference between the first moments it was swapped and days later.
              Very interesting! I didn't give the A4 much of a chance to "stew", but I left the UOA5 in for about a week. I didn't notice much of a change over time and I ended up putting the stock polished A5 back in.

Just today I got a pair of roughcast A5s from Addictionfx in the mail and put one in. It could be in my head or due to the magnet needing to make itself at home, but the rough A5 seems a touch less piercing in the highs and perhaps slightly less mid scooped than the stock A5. I like it! Once I get the Mojotone raw nickel cover that I ordered I think I'll be done messing with pickups in this guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by ragamuffin View Post
                So today I decided to tinker and tried out A4 and UOA5, both rough cast

A4 was just thin, flat and kind of bland. I took it out pretty fast. Funny being that I really the A4 in my neck pickup.

UOA5 was nice; slightly less tight in the bass and more midsy than the stock A5, kind of "bouncy", and really rich in harmonics. It sounds great and a little more "rock n' roll" than the stock.

I liked the U0A5 quite a bit but I think the regular A5 is going back in. It just fits better for the sound that I want out of this guitar.

Does rough cast vs. polished make much of a difference? I'd like to try a rough cast A5 but I don't have one on hand.
                Yes polished vs rough cast does make a difference.

Comment

Very interesting! I didn't give the A4 much of a chance to "stew", but I left the UOA5 in for about a week. I didn't notice much of a change over time and I ended up putting the stock polished A5 back in.

Just today I got a pair of roughcast A5s from Addictionfx in the mail and put one in. It could be in my head or due to the magnet needing to make itself at home, but the rough A5 seems a touch less piercing in the highs and perhaps slightly less mid scooped than the stock A5. I like it! Once I get the Mojotone raw nickel cover that I ordered I think I'll be done messing with pickups in this guitar.
                  Just wait until the cover changes your tone! Nooooooo
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

Just wait until the cover changes your tone! Nooooooo
                    Lol! I hope not

Comment

Why not the A2 Pro Slash Bridge, or the CustomCustom?

Comment

Lol! I hope not
                        it will. not much, but it will. i notice a subtle change in the high end with a good cover vs without. a crap cover will dull things significantly. but even that can work for some people

Comment

Working...
                        X