banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When were Hot Rails / Cool Rails first developed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When were Hot Rails / Cool Rails first developed?

Here's an interesting vid of "Pawn Stars", where Vic Flick sells his "original" '61 Stratocaster that he played on the Beatles movie, James Bond theme, and hundreds of other songs while he was a studio musician. It ultimately sells for $55,000. But it's definitely got a Hot Rails or Cool Rails in the bridge. I'm wondering what's the earliest that could have been installed? I doubt these were made in 1961. And wouldn't that impact it's value? Nobody, (including the appraiser), seem to make mention of it.

Haha what foos.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I just noticed that when he hands Rick his song list, there's something on the counter in a baggie, that looks like it might be the original pickup.

Comment

id guess 80's but i dont know for sure. definitely not made in the 60s

cool guitar for sure and im sure someone will buy it and the shop will make money

Comment

He said he was a studio musician from the 50's to 1983. I wonder if that pup was used on any of those songs.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            I just noticed that when he hands Rick his song list, there's something on the counter in a baggie, that looks like it might be the original pickup.
            Yeah, I think that's it in a plastic bag, in the case up by the headstock.

Comment

There used to be a pickup timeline on the website, but I think it's long gone. I'm remembering someone was able to pull a copy from the Internet Archives. I thought they posted it here in the Forum but my searches aren't finding it. Hopefully they'll see this topic and link to it.
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

That would be cool. I also noticed that many people commented on that pup being a Hot Rails. I hadn't read the comments before I posted.

Comment

A pure speculation would be early 80’s for Hot Rails availability? It definitely looks like a Duncan, doesn’t it?

Just remember this show is fake. The guitars are real, but all the stories are fake. The Cowtown guy just brings a guitar from his inventory, they film a segment about it and that’s it. The original owner was probably in town so it made for a good story.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That's an interesting thought. I wonder why they didn't put the original pup back in for the filming? It's not like they played it on the show. Or, they cut that scene out. They did, after all, have a Fender amp up on the counter.

Comment

Massive IMO....

I think the average viewer is just interested is seeing cool pieces of history with a brief story and get an approximate value. Only guitar players would have a clue that the pickup was different. The actual buyer will have the choice of keeping it in the condition that the musician used it or take to the repairman of their choice to have it restored.

My understanding is the stuff featured is all real with accurate stories, but the way they choose who is on the show and how it is presented can be a little creative.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                        There used to be a pickup timeline on the website, but I think it's long gone.
                        You just reminded me of something. Way back when, I bought this Seymour Duncan "pack" of some sort. It had three CD's with all the sound samples, plus some trinkets, (screwdriver, bottle opener, etc.), and a big poster with all the specs. IIRC, the timeline was on that poster.

The "trick" is for me to dig through my closet archives, and find it.

Comment

Early 80s

Back in the 70s, people took chisels and routers to strats and installed Super Distortions

...and NO, it isn't worth 50 grand, not even close.

Also of note, that is NOT an active musician's main studio axe that is 60 years old. Maybe a backup that sat in his truck 99% of the time, maybe something that sat in the case in his garage.

Almost decent cosmetics, low wear, non-existent setup, neck bowedAF? Yeah right
                          Last edited by Adieu; 02-17-2021, 09:32 AM.
                          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

my guess is that it was one of his main instruments decades ago. studio guys tend to be super meticulous about their gear and think about the way they play, not aggressive. the setup and bow come from sitting barely or unplayed since the mid 80s

Comment

I'm impressed that you guys can actually see the setup in a YT vid.

Comment

Working...
                              X