Pickup recommendations for an ibanez AZ2204

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendations for an ibanez AZ2204

Hi all! First post here, and I came to ask this. I have an ibanez 2204, with a blue burst flame maple top. Love the guitar! However, I don't exactly love the SD hyperion pickups it comes with. They're fine: they just, to my ear, seem like a jack of all trades, master of none. In addition, the bridge pickup sounds a tad harsh to me, too much high end.

This guitar is an HSS configuration. I actually have a custom custom lying around I thought would be great for the bridge. I had it for an axis, I bought it because the stock axis sounded a bit harsh, possibly for the same reason: lots of maple on both guitars.

So, with a custom custom in the bridge, I'm set for some good rock tones. For the neck and mid, I'd actually like to go for a more bluesy tone, more srv and clapton than van halen.

The hyperions lack the sort of glassy tones I look for in a strat. So, I'm looking for some recommendations on single coils. I'd like to stick with true single coils, no stacked or humbuckers in SC size. I was sort of looking at antiquity Texas hot, but wasn't sure if the volume difference would bother me. Can anyone recommend me some good pickups? I'm usually a dimarzio guy, but would like to keep this guitar with seymour duncan. Thought ls would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!
    The Custom Custom is one of my favorite pickups. For a neck and middle, I'd look at the Classic Stack STK-S4. They are great for SRV tones, and they are a good volume match for the Custom Custom. Also, they are noiseless- really wonderful pickups.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, with only one response, I'm glad I asked :-) not familiar with those, so I'm glad I asked! I'll definitely check those out.

Comment

Give it another day, someone will have another idea.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It is hard to beat the STK-S4's. Classic Strat single coil tone, while remaining noiseless. Tough to beat.

Comment

the classic stacks are great. if you want real single coils then id go ssl2, flat pole alnico 5 goodness

Comment

I emailed SD, they recommended SSL-6. Looked into all suggested, and they all sound like awesome choices. I guess too many good choices is kind of a problem you want to have, huh? Thanks a ton, guys!

Comment

if you have 500k pots the ssl6 is a ok choice. hotter and fatter than vintage, i find them dark in the neck and middle with 250k pots but with 500k, they can match up with bridge buckers fairly well.

Comment

I haven't had the pleasure of trying them myself, but for true single coils I would have thought your own suggestion of the antiquity texas hots could be a great option.

Comment

Working...
                  X