P-Rails Hot SHPR-2B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Rails Hot SHPR-2B?

I purchased a set of P-Rail pickups and thought they were the SHPR-1N and SHPR-1B but the bridge I received was actually the SHPR-2B...the "hot" version. I've searched and read several of the posts on this site and most reviews haven't been great....too hot, can sound muddy, it's warm, lack of clarity, etc.

Before I make a rash decision to sell the SHPR-2B and find a SHPR-1B, I was wondering if the pickup height could help with the tone. I was thinking about putting the pickup with the blade single coil near the bridge and lowering the pickup to "thin" it out? Can someone who's done this let me know if this helped to make the pickup a little clearer and not as muddy and hot? I don't want to change the magnets in the pickup if I sell or trade the pickup.

Thanks for your help with this.

I've always been interested in the "hot" version, but never tried it.

I can't help but think that you should give it a shot before you consider selling it. I'm not sure how you concluded "most reviews" haven't been great? A simple google search reveals dozens of reviews that are unanimously positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      I'm not sure how you concluded "most reviews" haven't been great? A simple google search reveals dozens of reviews that are unanimously positive.
      I will definitely be trying it first but was hoping to get some feedback from people who's installed/tried the hot bridge pickup before. Honestly, I started with a search on this forum and found most of the hits I got resulted in people who preferred the SHPR-1B to the 2B pickup for the reasons I stated. But, other than changing the magnets, I didn't see anyone who tried adjusting the pickup height....although they may have I just didn't see anyone who stated that and how that may have affected the tone....for better or worse.

I did a google search and found mixed results. I wouldn't say it was unanimously positive but definitely there were positive reviews there as well. Thought I would tap the brain trust here on the Seymour Duncan site since its targeted at people who may have more experience with the SD products.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

I'd try it first (that is, if you can't return it), and if you decide that you don't like it, you might trade it here on the forum with someone who wants the hot version. I've installed the hot version a few times for other people, and they loved it, so you might just like it!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Without having direct experience, I wonder if the hour is intended to be used primarily in parallel for Humbucker tones? There is a lot of positive comments for the standard P-Rails in parallel.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have direct experience. I typically play high-gain music with medium to high output pickups; I bought the P-Rails to get P-90s tones. I am now addicted to the humbucker for 80's metal, thrash, and hard rock tones. I have the pickup in a Swiss Army Stratocaster.

Comment

Maybe I can use the Les Paul wiring and wire both volumes to one tone pot instead of two tone pots?

Comment

Sometimes I like that one flipped around with the rails toward the bridge. There are hot pickups out there like the Dimarzio Super 3 where, people who like them, like them. But if you gave it to a vintage Les Paul player they’d hate it and say it was dark. So the reviews have to be tempered with what that person’s expectations were when they bought it.

As with all the P-Rails, the parallel HB tone is a secret weapon because it’s a bright HB tone without sounding thin and scooped like when you run symmetrical humbuckers in parallel. So if the HB tone is getting too dark for something, just go to parallel mode.

Comment

Working...
                X