X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okiwaso
    replied
    Thanks Wound_Up.

In reply to your Solo guitars link --- yeah the website only shows a pair, but I will give them a call, thanks!
    Last edited by Okiwaso; 02-24-2021, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wound_Up
    replied
    Originally posted by Okiwaso View Post
    Thanks FreeFrog. I carefully took the tape off the coil to have a look and could not see anything broken so it likely is in deeply buried in the windings which I am not going to mess with.
    So I am currently looking for a retailer in Canada that has a APH2N ZB in stock.
    Here's one on ebay

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Seymour-...EAAOxyvSVREg35

Brad Angove, a YouTube guitar builder in Canada, likes Solo Guitars. Might want to call them and see what they say. I don't see a neck pickup on their website.

https://www.solomusicgear.com/?s=Sla...ct&dgwt_wcas=1
    Last edited by Wound_Up; 02-24-2021, 02:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Okiwaso
    replied
    Thanks FreeFrog. I carefully took the tape off the coil to have a look and could not see anything broken so it likely is in deeply buried in the windings which I am not going to mess with.
    So I am currently looking for a retailer in Canada that has a APH2N ZB in stock.

Leave a comment:

• freefrog
    replied
    Thanks for the info FreeFrog.
    If the coil wire is broke but still aligned and the break is accessible without having to unwind the wire would you recommend repairing it with solder?
    Many things can be done with precision and care but trying to resolder a wire thinner than an hair directly on a coil wouldn't be a good idea IMHO. :-)
    You'd / you'll have to unwind at least the first layer(s) of wire on the damaged coil in order to find where it's broken... and since the mentioned pickup is potted, it's not going to be necessarily easy: even the masking tape around the coil might be hard to pull off without aggravating the situation...
    Not that it's not doable : but the pickup has to be dismantled first.... and if the break in the coil is deeply buried, unwinding it superficially won't solve the problem.

Let me know if you want to attempt a repair yourself - and feel free to PM me if needed.

But don't discard the idea to have the pickup repaired by a local winder (or by the Duncan Custom shop) or to change it, simply: it would be easier, faster, and an A2P hb is not that expensive. :-)

Last edited by freefrog; 02-24-2021, 12:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Okiwaso
    replied
    Thanks for the info FreeFrog.
    If the coil wire is broke but still aligned and the break is accessible without having to unwind the wire would you recommend repairing it with solder?

Leave a comment:

• freefrog
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    FreeFrog - I checked the wiring on the pots and switch and the factory solder joints are still solid with no breaks in continuity testing. Also the volume does decrease for the neck pickup when I turn down its tone control.
    I did not take the pickup out of the circuit to test its resistance

So maybe the break or faulty contact is in the pickup?
    Yes it is apparently. Broken coil wire staying aligned on itself and behaving like a capacitor. Hence the absurd DCR reading and the tone control acting like a volume pot.

I am not sure how this happened. I keep the guitar in its case most of the time and don't use the neck pickup very often but noticed this issue recently so maybe it the pickup just went bad on its own for no apparent reason.
    Might be due to some mechanical or "chemical" stress... Anyway and as I said recently in another topic, it happens and it's not that rare. I've met and repaired this problem several times in my life (and twice with a same pro guitarist, with different pickups in different guitars).

Now, there's two solutions: rewinding the broken coil or changing the pickup. I've done both when this problem happened.

Sorry for the bad news. Hope you'll find a quick and satisfying solution.

Leave a comment:

• Okiwaso
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    FreeFrog - I checked the wiring on the pots and switch and the factory solder joints are still solid with no breaks in continuity testing. Also the volume does decrease for the neck pickup when I turn down its tone control.
    I did not take the pickup out of the circuit to test its resistance

So maybe the break or faulty contact is in the pickup?

I am not sure how this happened. I keep the guitar in its case most of the time and don't use the neck pickup very often but noticed this issue recently so maybe it the pickup just went bad on its own for no apparent reason.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    I have a Rickenbacker with the same symtoms and in my case it's a faulty/damaged pickup coil, because I removed the pickup and tested it on it's own and got the same results.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainWhizz
    replied
    This sounds like something that was being discussed on a thread about EVH’s pickups, caused by a damaged coil,

Leave a comment:

• AlexR
    replied
    That sounds like a wire break, with an effect called capacitive coupling meaning you have a residual K reading and some sound.

Leave a comment:

• AlexS7320
    replied
    my tip is, just uninstall the pickup and check it isolated from the whole guitar... u might get a good look on its mechanical condition too

Leave a comment:

• freefrog
    replied
    Hello and welcome onboard.

As said above, check the whole wiring, including the cable coming from the pickup (and if it's a 4 conductors cable, check the junction between coils, concretized by a white and a red wires soldered altogether under/in some adhesive tape).

The loss of bass and ultra high DCR seem indicative of a faulty contact behaving like a capacitor. It might be anywhere before the output jack or inside the pickup: sometimes, they develop such problems without apparent reason.

To verify, try to use the tone control of the neck pickup : does it work normally or does it lowers the volume? If it affects the output level, there's a capacitive faulty contact "before" the tone pot (or a break in the wire as mentioned below: that's another kind of "faulty contact" that I've met/repaired more than once and that I've also evoked more than once here or elsewhere; it generally requires one coil to be rewound)...
    Last edited by freefrog; 02-21-2021, 02:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    did something happen to the guitar? id check the wiring like calsip said. if you have a meter, check the reading at the pup wires, not the jack. if it reads bad at the pup then sounds like something may have happened to it.

Leave a comment:

• Calsip
    replied
    I’m not an expert, but my first impression of this would be to check all of the wiring inside the guitar. I figure you have done that. Check the wires that leave the specific coils of the guitar. Maybe one got pulled or something. That’s just a guess and idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Alnico Pro 2 Slash neck pickup has lost low frequency and measures around 210k

I have a Gibson Appetite For Destruction Les Paul and the neck pickup has recently lost all its low end and sounds very thin. The bridge pickup has more low end than the neck now.
    The Alnico Pro 2 Slash pickup in the bridge position measures 8.4K ohms in circuit but now the neck pickup reads around 210k ohms and fluctuates up and down.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with the neck pickup and is there anything I can do to fix it or will it need replaced?

Thanks
Working...
X