banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A8 PG still too scratchy... Anyone tried an A8 in a SNS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A8 PG still too scratchy... Anyone tried an A8 in a SNS?

The guitar: LP style, acoustically it has a pronounced low-low-mid (upper bass) bump and a very "present" upper mid spike in the same frequency range of the upper mid "bite" of the PG.
    So the bitey character of the PG is more like nails on a chalkboard here. I took out the A2 and it's better with the A8 (I like a bit more output too) but that mid spike is still to accentuated.

So, a different pickup it will be then, but I prefer something like a hot PAF type.

Maybe a 59 with an A8?

Maybe a SNS?
    From the Rappoport demos I gather the SNS has plenty of mids and maybe the A4 will translate the guitar's upper mid-spike too much?
    A8 has a more low-mid emphasis. So I was thinking an SNS with an A8.

Anyone have any experience with the SNS? How does it take the A8?

Other pickup suggestions are welcome too.

This might be weird. Try an A6? They are dark in my experience. Would kill a lot of the high.

Comment

What about a Custom 5, which solved a mid-heavy guitar I had?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Dude get the A8 outta there. They're scratch city. Try an A6 as mentioned above. What you really need to do is GET A DOUBLE THICK MAG.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

I'm concerned the SNS may have the same issue as the Pearly Gates for your application (I am judging from demos I heard online). Sounds like you may like Suhr Thornbucker. The regular wind one is smooth and has warm balance (from my personal experience in both Strats and LP copy guitar).

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            What about a Custom 5, which solved a mid-heavy guitar I had?
            Mh... I dunno, the low-low-mid bump the axe has naturally might become too much with an A5....
            Plus I already have a LP model with a Custom, I'd like to things the PAF, but maybe just a smidge hotter than PAF.

Comment

The Custom 5 carves out all mids. So if you have a bump there, it will be gone. It is a lot more scooped than the regular Custom.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Calsip View Post
                This might be weird. Try an A6? They are dark in my experience. Would kill a lot of the high.
                Mh... I like to keep a bit of top end sparkle. There's just too many upper mids.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  Dude get the A8 outta there. They're scratch city. Try an A6 as mentioned above. What you really need to do is GET A DOUBLE THICK MAG.
                  "Scratch city"? Don't know that expression, sorry not native english here. Why the double thick magnet? Wouldn't it just bump the mid spike even more? Persuade me.

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
                    Wouldn't it just bump the mid spike even more?
                    No. Double thick is the most effective thing that I've come across at reducing the harshness for bridge hums. It bumps up the output a bit and deepens the tone and makes it fatter while reducing the scratchiness. Changing pickups is really unnecessary, unless you want to change the voicing or tone footprint. If you want to reduce scratchiness and mids while retaining top end sparkle I would recommend a double thick A5. It's $20 instead of $80 for a new pickup and more effective.
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 02-21-2021, 12:15 AM.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

A8 tends to sound better in higher output pickups. It likes a lot of wire on the bobbin.
                      www.guitarforce-pickups.com

Comment

Isn't the '59 stock along the lines of what you're after: a PAF wind with scooped mids?

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
                          Isn't the '59 stock along the lines of what you're after: a PAF wind with scooped mids?
                          Haha lol no kiddin' that's been in the back of my mind all along dude.

Comment

A 59b with a double thick A5 will fix you right up!

I bought them for you

Comment

Maybe a Screamin' Demon?
                              "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Working...
                              X