banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A8 PG still too scratchy... Anyone tried an A8 in a SNS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
    I wanted to love a8 but the metal clang it introduced only became more noticeable as I kept playing with one, I think it’s only good in a pickup that deficient in those particular frequencies. I’m thinking that an alternate 8 would sound underwhelming with an A5 mag.
    Similar situation for me with A8 in pickups. Playing mostly Mesa amps, the high end was grating and harsh to my ear in every pickup in every guitar. There was just no way to dial it out of the amp, especially if I was using multiple guitars. The only time I liked an A8 was in a Screamin Demon when split, that sounded fantastic.

For the OP, I struggled finding pickups for one of my guitars that was dominated by the mid response. After dozens of pickups I pretty much gave up and put it p for sale, nothing could make it sound the way I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      Lol!

1:30

Is that “clank” at 1:30?

Comment

Yes, I was trying to find a better example. The Seth bridge clanks pretty well but I think they disguised it to make it sound nice.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
          OP here! PG sounds less scratchy with the A8 than with the A2 for some reason. I had to use a mid heavy pickup because the guitar has a lot of upper-lows (and a lot of upper-mids/low highs) so I figured a scooped pup would blow up the lows too much as well as the upper mid/low high spike. Lows are great now, it roars - not bloats - and the scratchiness was mitigated party with the A8 and a lower pot value tamed the harshness just enough to tilt the sound from abrasive to ... well, bitey. The axe has since become an acquired taste!

The weird natural EQ of the guitar matches superbly with the PG (after filing off its painful rough edges). It has A LOT of character and incredible note clarity now, but it's a rock guitar - not enough sparkle for pristinely clean sounds but turn up the gain and it may honestly be the best sounding axe I've ever heard.

So thanks everyone for all the suggestions and insights!

I still ordered double thick mags, they're in transit, though I'll probably leave the guitar as it is for now. Not to worry: I have another axe with a PAF that I think will benefit from a thick A5.
          Well that's good news. Seems like things are moving in the right direction and you're happy with your guitar.

The A8 probably reduces scratchiness because it increases output and that fills out the pickup. Even though an A8's tone is the opposite of mellow. That's the benefit to double thick - it fills out the pickup and that reduces scratchiness while keeping the same natural tone of an A2 or A5 for example. Don't have to resort to A8's disreputable clank.
          I bought them for you

Comment

Yes, I was trying to find a better example. The Seth bridge clanks pretty well but I think they disguised it to make it sound nice.
            Funny enough, if that’s what we are calling clank then that’s what I hear when I hear a Strat bridge pickup. I hate that tone. And if that’s what a Seth bridge sounds like I will never own one. Glad I found out now. Lol
            I owe you one. Haha!

Comment

Yep, no prob.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Even though an A8's tone is the opposite of mellow.
                Weird that you keep saying that. I have two A8 magnets and to me they sounded like a roided up A2: powerful low mids, strongs mids, round highs, better defined lows. Scrachy isn't how I would describe the high frequencies, they sound mellower than an A5's, similar to the highs of UOA5 perhaps.

Maybe the two mags I got weren't fully magnetised? Or the alloy was off?

I got 'm off ebay, probably Chinese, who knows.

Comment

Well I agree. EQ wise, what you say is all correct. But there's just a syntheticness and harshness to A8 that can't be dialed out. It takes it from an after market pickup back to a pos Squier pickup IMO so I'm like why bother?
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Funny you say that, "syntheticness and harshness" is exactly how I feel about ceramics. Can't make friends with them, lol. Taste matters, I guess, but so does application.

I'll admit A8 loaded pups don't go well with Marshall type amps, they get clangy indeed!

But I don't use those, normally. I find them too brightly voiced.

And indeed with any amp just at breakup, the A8 will sound clangy. But why use an A8 loaded pup for playing at breakup? Or a ceramic for that matter. You need tamer magnets for that.
                    A8 sounds great at medium to high gain on darker voiced amps, at least the samples that I've got. Not sure what amps you play normally?
                    Last edited by WDeeGee; 02-27-2021, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Well that makes sense. Clean is important to me is all, so I evaluate mags that way instead of only with the distortion box on. I play Peavey.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                      X