Wiring and pot values for HSS wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring and pot values for HSS wiring?

What would be the best way to wire my HSS strat without using a super switch? I currently have all 250k pots, with tone 1 on the neck pickup and tone 2 on the bridge HB pickup. The bridge pickup seems a bit dull compared to the single coils. Would changing my volume pot to 500k help?

There are many ways to get the controls to your liking. The easiest way to start would be to take the tone off of the bridge pickup. This will brighten up the bridge hum. You could put the extra tone onto the middle pickup or use it for something else such as a blender or spin a split.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I say, experiment! I've had luck with 500k volume, 250k tone for the singles, 500k tone for the humbucker. Pots are pretty cheap, so pick up a few values and spend an hour or so seeing which ones you like.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Personally, I installed all 525k pots in my Silvertone SS10(Strat) when I went to HSS from SSS. The way I figured it was with 500/525k pots, I've got the same range as a 250k tone pot plus a little more treble if I need it. And it's easy enough to crank the tone controls down to tame the highs with 525k pots.
        JC
        -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
        -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
        -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
        -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
        -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
        -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post
          Personally, I installed all 525k pots in my Silvertone SS10(Strat) when I went to HSS from SSS. The way I figured it was with 500/525k pots, I've got the same range as a 250k tone pot plus a little more treble if I need it. And it's easy enough to crank the tone controls down to tame the highs with 525k pots.
          So, all 3 pots? And it's wired up the usual way?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Comment

what pups are you going to be using? if you are using vintage output singles in the neck and middle, id never want 500k all around

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              what pups are you going to be using? if you are using vintage output singles in the neck and middle, id never want 500k all around
              I have 2 single coils from a MIM strat and a Dimarzio Tone Zone S. I'm just trying to find the best way to wire it all up. The TZ S is kind of dark and dull with the current wiring, using all 3 250K pots.

Comment

Originally posted by ledvedder View Post
                So, all 3 pots? And it's wired up the usual way?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
                Yep. Tone on neck & middle. Works great and isn't too bright on the bridge.

Those single coils all measure around 4k, IIRC. They were LOW. So I installed the 9k humbucker in the bridge and wired it up.
                JC
                -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

first id make sure the tone control is off the bridge pup if it isnt. if it is, removing it will get you a little brighter sound. if its already off, then, if it was mine, id swap the volume to 500k and leave the tone controls 250k to tame the singles.

Comment

Working...
                  X