Pickup ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup ID

I have 3 pickups that I’m not sure what they are. I’m turning to you gurus here for any info you have.

This is a Dimarzio that measures out at 13.56. The guy I got it from said it’s a Super Distortion. It’s only a 2 conductor setup. White/black and bare. No sticker. The Dimarzio site only lists the SD as 4 conductor.

Next:
    2 Gibson USA pickups.

Stamped Gibson USA on the plate and they measure out at 7.77 and 13.57. Single conductor with a braided ground. Long leg base plate and I’m guessing that these came out of my 2004 LP Studio.

Super Distortions used to be 2 conductor, you needed the “Dual Sound” for four conductor. I’m not sure if they were insulated or braided shield though.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yep, probably a Super D. The black and white wires allowed you to wire them out of phase with another pickup. Vintage Deans are wired this way.

I bet $5 those Gibsons are 498T/490R. Idc what anybody says, it’s a great combo.

Comment

I think the two Gibson pick ups are 490R/498T. They measure around the values you report and the baseplate has the Gibson logo embossed. The braided wire means they are factory installed on guitar. The aftermarket ones have 4 conductors. The dimarzio seems a SD to me. The newest ones have four conductors, I sold mine a couple of months ago.

Comment

Thanks guys

The only reason I was wondering about the SD is that it sounded almost like it was wired incorrectly and only one coil was working. i swapped another pickup in the guitar and it too sounded funny.
          its an import guitar and as such has cheap parts. so next ill replace the internals and see what happens.
          Last edited by Gtrjunior; 02-22-2021, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
            Thanks guys

The only reason I was wondering about the SD is that it sounded almost like it was wired incorrectly and only one coil was working. i swapped another pickup in the guitar and it too sounded funny.
            its an import guitar and as such has cheap parts. so next ill replace the internals and see what happens.
            The SD pickup can be wired either way - black hot or black ground. This is so that it can be made in phase or out of phase with the other pickups. I just wired one up with a GFS single in the middle and choose white for hot on both. Makes a nasally tone with both pickups which I sort of like. Kills the bass however.

I could reverse the Super D or the middle pickups leads to put the two pickups back in phase. Maybe I need a push/pull to reverse the middle.

Oh, I agree with the others. Super D, 490R/498T.

Comment

Working...
            X