Wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help

Hello one and all! Been a minute since I posted on here.

I built a strat last year and I've been cooking up an idea to mod it; I want to make sure it's possible. At the moment, there's a Pasadena Black humbucker in the bridge, and a Quiet Coil 58 in the neck. I plan on putting a Suhr SSH or SSH+ in the bridge at some point, but I digress. What I'd like to do is rout out a slot right next to the neck single, and put in a single coil sized humbucker, and then run both neck pickups into a 2-way switch to select between them, then run that into the neck position of the 3-way switch that's already on the guitar.

I'd just need a DPDT switch for that right? I was thinking one of these would be pretty cool between my volume and tone: https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/...RoCMRoQAvD_BwE

ALSO if anyone has recommendations for a single coil sized humbucker that would pair well with a bridge pickup that has a bit of mid push to it, I'd appreciate them. I'm looking at Cool Rails, Lil 59, and the Dimarzio Pro Track.

Thanks in advance y'all!

Technically, you only need a SPDT switch. But if you use a slide switch, they pretty much only come as DPDT. So, you'd just use one side. Here's one from Guitar Electronics that's a little cheaper and they won't screw you on shipping.

Switchcraft double pole On/On (DPDT) slide switch with black handle. Upgrade or replace you guitar and amplifier switches with the best. For use on Fender Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Brian May and other vintage style instruments as well as many tube and solid state amps. Includes mounting screws. |Slide Switch Specs| | |Positions/Poles:|2-Position/2-Pole| |Switch Type:|DPDT| |Max Volts/Amps:|125V/3A| |Slot Size:|5/16" x 9/16"| |Screw Spacing:|1-1/8"| |Required Cavity Depth|3/4"|

Comment

Originally posted by punchlinechar View Post
      ALSO if anyone has recommendations for a single coil sized humbucker that would pair well with a bridge pickup that has a bit of mid push to it, I'd appreciate them. I'm looking at Cool Rails, Lil 59, and the Dimarzio Pro Track.

Thanks in advance y'all!
      If you need some mid-push, look at the Little 59 or the neck Hot Rails. The Cool Rails is too scooped for what you want.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Technically, you only need a SPDT switch. But if you use a slide switch, they pretty much only come as DPDT. So, you'd just use one side.
        Theoretically then, could I use the other side to coil split the bridge pickup? That way one position could give me single coil sounds, and the other would give me humbucker sounds.

Comment

You could, but the split sound of the Little humbucker isn't a great one. It will sound better in parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            You could, but the split sound of the Little humbucker isn't a great one. It will sound better in parallel.
            Sorry, this is kind of confusing to write lol; I meant to split the full size humbucker in the bridge position. There would be the single coil and the SC sized humbucker that it would be switching between in the neck on the other side of the switch.

Comment

Oh! Oops...I misunderstood!

Comment

lol you're good! That should be do-able though right?

Comment

Yes, it should.

Comment

Working...
                  X