banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What neck, middle pickups to pair with Twang Banger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What neck, middle pickups to pair with Twang Banger?

Am thinking about shaking something up with my Tokai Strat that would be easily reversible if I don't like it ... installing a Tele-flavored (I am quite aware it's not going to be a true Tele sound) bridge pickup like the Twang Banger (leaning toward it rather than the Red Velvet, Stelly or Harmonic Design STP).

I think I would like it because I do a lot of my playing on the bridge pickup (I have the current one wired to a tone control, wouldn't have a Strat of any type without that).

The guitar currently has GFS Vintage Alnicos in all three spots. If I made this change with the bridge pickup, what are some suggestions as far as neck and middle pickups that would be more conducive to this arrangement and to the sound I'm looking for, which would be more twangy and jangly with a little more "oomph" than the standard Strat bridge? Or would the GFS be as good as anything?

Someone I know suggested a P-90 flavored pickup like the Stra-Bro 90 in the neck, a "conventional" Strat pickup (SSL-1 or Antiquity Surfer?) in the middle and the Twang Banger in the bridge? Anyone done anything like that? Feasible?

And I'm also thinking about one more mod, doing the 7-way Gilmour switch. (I really want neck and bridge option, I think that would be right up my alley as to what I'm looking for.) Any reason why having the Tele-flavored bridge pickup would make that unfeasible?

I'll leave the pup recommendations to others, (although, a pair of Five-Two's could be cool in there), but as for the 7-way . . . if it were mine, I'd do a master tone, and convert the other pot to a bridge "blend" pot. Ala Fralin blend. That's dirt simple and keeps the controls intuitive.

My 2-cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      I'll leave the pup recommendations to others, (although, a pair of Five-Two's could be cool in there), but as for the 7-way . . . if it were mine, I'd do a master tone, and convert the other pot to a bridge "blend" pot. Ala Fralin blend. That's dirt simple and keeps the controls intuitive.

My 2-cents worth.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/wp-con...ng-Diagram.pdf

Thanks, that sounds a lot less complicated.

Comment

I had a Stelly/SSL-1/SSL-1 setup for years and really liked it. The first 4 positions were standard Strat and the bridge was nice and beefy. It was strong but didn’t overpower the neck and middle. Your GFS might work well already, try them first.

Something to keep in mind, you can only get hum cancelling in two of the three combo positions. (If you have two of the same pickup for neck and middle, but one is RWRP you can get which ever combo you want to cancel hum (N/M or N/B).
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i ran a twangbanger/aps/aps setup for years and loved it. i eventually wanted a little more traditional a5 neck tone so put a ssl1 neck, 5/2 middle, and tb bridge which was also awesome. both setups were great. i had the aps/tb setup for 5+ years on one of my main guitars

Comment

I have CS'69/Five-Two/Twangbanger in one of my Stratocasters and love the combination. With time, the Twangbanger beat my Antiquity II as my favorite bridge pickup

Comment

Working...
            X