banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short vs long leg baseplate. Cons for short legs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short vs long leg baseplate. Cons for short legs?

What difference does short vs long legs make when it comes to mounting a SD 59 Model bridge pickup? Do you lose any adjustability with short legs? Are there any cons to buying a short legged pickup vs a long legged one?

The pickup I just got for my singlecut Goldtop has short legs and I'm just trying to make sure I'm not losing anything by using it. The only difference I can figure is I don't need the extra deep bracket pockets with a short legged baseplate. Is there anything I'm missing other than historic accuracy? Is that the main reason for long & short legs? To have long legs that are physically accurate to the originals? Thanks.
    Last edited by Wound_Up; 02-23-2021, 12:44 AM.
    JC
    -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
    -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
    -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
    -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
    -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
    -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

The only cons are with long legs.....as in you cannot fit them to thinner guitars like strats without some routing work.

Short legs are the 'fits anything' version.

Comment

Historic moronicality.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Awesome. The ad for what I bought on Reverb said it was a long legged baseplate but what I received wasn't. Since there's no difference other than looks, I'll let the guy know I'm OK with what I have. I've already emailed him asking whether he sent me a short or long legged pickup when I noticed the short legs. But since it makes no difference, I'll keep this one. It's not going into a LP R9 or anything, so I believe the short legs will work just fine.

Thank you!
        JC
        -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
        -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post
          Is there anything I'm missing other than historic accuracy? Is that the main reason for long & short legs? To have long legs that are physically accurate to the originals? Thanks.
          Short legs are fine. Doesn't affect tone. Long legs are a carryover from the original P.A.F.s.
          www.guitarforce-pickups.com

Comment

Recently, I noticed there's a limit to how low you can adjust a short leg if the screws are shorter also. Long screws comes in handy particularly for neck pickups to control the thumpy/tubby/boom effect.

Comment

I prefer short legs. I once had to swap out a baseplate because the legs were too long to fit in the body.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                Recently, I noticed there's a limit to how low you can adjust a short leg if the screws are shorter also. Long screws comes in handy particularly for neck pickups to control the thumpy/tubby/boom effect.
                You'd need more screw to get the long leg pickup to the same low height than the short leg. :P
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

That, was something I also realized. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking is correct. I actually already have some from when I installed a humbucker in my Silvertone Strat. The legs were too long so i straightened them out parallel to the baseplate instead of making an 'L' so it would fit.

Might swap the alnico 5 mag with an alnico 2 next. It's a cheap, Guitar Madness "59'er". It sounds pretty bad compared to the stock pickups in my Goldtop(which is getting the SD in the bridge). I originally bought the 2's to replace the mags in my Goldtop pickups but I doubt I'll mess with them since they have covers.

I appreciate all the help. I let the guy know that all is good and I'll keep this one even though the ad stated it was a long-legged baseplate. Now if this freakin Kester 44 solder would hurry up and get here, I could get it installed. I've got lead-free but I ain't using it.

Thanks again!
                  Last edited by Wound_Up; 02-24-2021, 01:37 AM.
                  JC

Comment

I just realized that, with longer screws, you'd also need longer springs. Correct? Could I just stack springs? As in use 1 full length and a 2nd, shorter spring cut to size to take up the rest of the screw? Or would I need to find single springs that are long enough? Thanks.
                    JC

Comment

You can certainly stack them. Or fix a nut to the end of the screw. Usually just using a longer spring is best.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

stacking springs sounds like a huge pita! little buggers will be flyin all over the place

Comment

Working...
                        X