70s MIJs in a 2 pickup Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70s MIJs in a 2 pickup Strat?

Any opinions as to what these would sound like in an MIJ 57RI 80s Strat at the neck and bridge? Very curious. Thanks.

I would think they were really weak. I have played old MIJ guitars just like that, and the pickups were really weak...but actually wired in series from the factory!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ahhhh...thanks much for that!

Comment

Bright & thin
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I have those. They're almost as powerful as Dano Lipstick Tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            I have those. They're almost as powerful as Dano Lipstick Tubes.
            I always thought most people who deliberately put Dano Lipsticks in a guitar do it because of the looks, not the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I always thought most people who deliberately put Dano Lipsticks in a guitar do it because of the looks, not the sound.
              Guilty as charged. But I didn't "put" them in. I bought my Duncan Designed Lipstick Tube "surf" Squier Strat for that very reason. And I love it.

Comment

Yeah, I do like the look, too. But I could never get on with the sound. I think if it were possible, there would be a market for lipsticks that sound closer to regular single coils and humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Yeah, I do like the look, too. But I could never get on with the sound. I think if it were possible, there would be a market for lipsticks that sound closer to regular single coils and humbuckers.
                  I didn't want to say anything 'til I actually got it done, (since I'm a terrible procrastinator), but I've had this "in-guitar" SFX-01 module sitting around for years, looking for a project. I think I'm going to install it into my Surf Strat to give the Lipstick tubes a little more girth and oomph.

And, to the OP, installing some kind of in-guitar booster, such as an AfterBurner, et al., could be a cool solution to go with those pups.

Comment

Working...
                  X