banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ibanez dyna-mix 10 power coil such a scooped sound !??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ibanez dyna-mix 10 power coil such a scooped sound !??

Hi,

I just got an Ibanez Premium RG1120, it's a fine guitar, but i'm a bit puzzled by the sound of their Dyna-mix 10 switching system.

I should mention that though i absolutely do not intend to play metal with this guitar, i mostly play clean, so things are probably a bit biased from the beginning.

The guitar has DiMarzio Fusion Edge pickups (Titan like) and is just fine with humbucker sounds or regular split coil sounds, What puzzles me is their power coil positions :
    the sound is suddenly having a BIG dip in the mids. I wish it were just like the humbucker sound (it is, level wise) but with the extra brightness of a single coil.
    There is some added high frequncies, for sure, but paradoxically, it just sounds muddy. Definitely not the single coil sound with added volume, something else ...

Does any owner feel the same ??

Maybe that was designed for the sole purpose of high gain distortion, and regardless, it may be just great for most guitarists, i don't know, but in my case this is a bit disappointing.

I listened to the Tom Quayle demo (thanks for playing some clean sounds as well !!) and i did not perceive such muddiness.

Gonna tweak my GT1000 a bit more to try to fine some amp setting that will be satisfactory in all positions.

The power tap is just that. One coil and a partial coil. They make single coil sounds. It seems this system is wasted on fusion edge pickups which aren’t very good to begin with. The AZ series is better with the dynamix system. It has caps and resistors running much like the PRS split coils which I thought were fantastic for being humbuckers. I really think the values that they have for the caps and resistors must not work well with the fusion edges. It’s just supposed to beef up the lower frequencies when split.

Comment

Thanks a lot for this helpful answer. I see ...
      Yeah, i am not too in love with those pickups anyway.
      I know it is partially due tp the ebony fretboard, but i kind of miss the bloom in the notes attack that i get with alnico pickups in general.
      I have a pair of Seymour Alnico II pro in my drawer, but i would have to file the tabs to a DiMarzio like triangular shape ...
      Otherwise, i guess some 36th Anniversary would float my boat and, maybe, react better to this Dyna-Mix stuff.

Comment

The AZ model’s Hyperion pickups have some of that bloom. The dynamix is a good system. I really think it’s the fusion edge pickups that are the problem. The only Ibanez I’ve used that sounded okay with those was an S model with an ebony fingerboard and even then it was a one trick pony for the most part.

Also, definitely put the A2Pro in the neck. Or swap out the A2 mag for an A5 and make it a jazz model. If you’re looking for clean tones only, just put the A2Pro set in your guitar! I think a switch to a5 for at least the bridge will help you get the bloom and vibe you want. I’ve seen people praise Unoriented A5s for this. As for the dimarzio, shouldn’t the baseplate from a fusion edge swap onto it?

Comment

I ended up ordering a PAF 36th Anniversary for the neck and a PAF Master (A4) for the bridge.
          Thank you for the precious advice ! !

Comment

Ah I misread the part about filing the humbuckers baseplate down. Yeah ordering the dimarzio is a good call.

Your post reminded me of something. I think the dyna-mix 10 system requires the flipping of one pickup’s magnet. I don’t think I got any consensus on this but the wiring I did to duplicate some of the coil sounds on an AZ required me to flip one humbucker’s magnet and use inside out wiring. Sounds hard but isn’t. But you might want to look into this. https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...ch#post5659049

Comment

Or do what gets done on the petrucci Ibanez and Ernie Ball models and rotate one pickup and reverse the wiring for that one. You will end up with screw poles either towards the bridge or towards the neck depending on which humbucker you rotate. The neck is typically done this way. But I wonder if this affects the partial split of the humbucker. Whatever you end up doing, take pictures and jot down what you did as not many people deal with these sorts of things.

Comment

Ha ! Interesting ! Thanks for the link. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X