Weirdest Looking Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weirdest Looking Pickups

One of the few things that is standard in guitars is the size/shape of pickups. While neck sizes vary, and pickup color codes do, we have all agreed on the size of humbuckers & single coils (for the most part). There are some brave companies (or silly?) that redesigned what pickups should look like. It pretty much guarantees that you won't be able to find replacement pickups.

I wanna see some weird ones.

Here is the 1982 Fender Elite Tele pickups..they actually sounded good, but not like a Tele.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	elite tele.JPG
Views:	585
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	6060316

Here is a Gibson V2, from around the same time. What I remember about this guitar is that it is one of the heaviest I'd ever played. Probably 12+ pounds.

Name:	v2.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	6060317

Here is whatever this is:

Name:	Weird pickup placement SM 2.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	6060318
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Deathbuckers are kind of different.

Name:	100_0963.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	6060328

Comment

I think it's hard to beat the Rick Turner T1 pickup. But, IIRC, it's a pseudo copy of the original Rickenbacker pickup design from around 1932.

Name:	Rick_Turner_T1.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	6060330

Comment

Alumitones are pretty weird, though they're a standard shape.

The old Silvertone guitars used some pretty proprietary shaped pickups, IIRC

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0992-scaled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	6060332​​​​​​

Name:	08f50b70c459dc1e3c95d147f4e5e945.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	6060333 Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage-silvertone-4-pickup-electric-guitar-featured.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	6060334 Click image for larger version

Name:	xzmof5jjsirrxqhkgw7d.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	6060335 Click image for larger version

Name:	BK3-B0373-1962-Harmony-H46-Silvertone-1421-Electric-Guitar-Sunburst-H44-Pickups-p1of11.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	6060336
        Last edited by Wound_Up; 02-26-2021, 12:38 AM.
        JC
        -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
        -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
        -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
        -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
        -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
        -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	6060366

I always thought these were strange looking pickups...
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Love these pics.

I found a cool site here that goes through a lot of strange ones.

Comment

To me, the P-Rails look strange.

Comment

Not only weird, but an innovation I wish was still available on all guitars.

Paul Bigsby did his own thang...

I don't know if there is more pickup behind those plates, or it's just large plates surrounding a somewhat normal-size pickup

Tri-sonics are interesting. No pole pieces but the cover is designed to manage the magnetic field.

Les Paul low-impedance pickups
                Last edited by beaubrummels; 02-26-2021, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Come to think of it, my "Cobain" EPI ET-270 has fairly ugly pups.

Name:	Epiphone_ET-270.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	6060440

Comment

Rauta Customs has made some unusual pickups, including one that looks sorta like the offspring of a P-Rails and a Charlie Christian.

Name:	RautaCustoms4681882_orig.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	6060476
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Ruokangas "Captain Nemo"

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                        Rauta Customs has made some unusual pickups, including one that looks sorta like the offspring of a P-Rails and a Charlie Christian.
                        I don't think those fit into an "ugly" pup thread. Those are kinda gorgeous.

Oops. He said "weird." Not ugly.

Comment

those gibson v shaped pups always seemed weird to me. id love to see under the cover to know whats goin on

Comment

Yeah, I just mean 'non-standard'. If pickups didn't have to be replaced, and were incorporated with the overall design of the guitar, what would they look like? Personally, if pickups were hidden (and sounded good), I think that would be cool, and it would change the design of the guitar. Some of those Japanese pickups are pretty funky. And I love the designs of some of the boutique pickup builders. I love thinking outside the box, if it is done for a reason.

Comment

G&L MFD pickups.
                              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                              X